Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another X bites the dust. My beloved 2006, "Ringo", who travelled across the country with me, then acted as my father's ambulance through the less than pleasant winter of 2013, is no more.

Initially, a check engine light caused the replacement of one, then two O2 sensors, then a catalytic converter, then alerted again for another catalytic, then a thermostat. Well, the thermostat repair (done at a Nissan dealer), must have bumped the radiator in such a way that, you guessed it, the dreaded coolant/transmission fluid issue popped up. At 9 years old, and with 140,000 miles, Nissan could offer no help with what would have been almost $3500 for the transmission (not to mention the catalytic that was quoted around $1200). So, I was forced to say my goodbye. (How on Earth is it cheaper to actually buy a new car than to fix a current one? Something's amiss in the banking world.)

I was very interested in another X, but it was simply out of my price range (even the decent used ones I found). So, with a heavy heart, I traded him in on a super clean 2013 Juke.

I thank everyone here for all the advice and tech tips as I lurked through the forums learning as I went. If my situation changes, I hope to pick up a 2015 Pro-X somewhere down the line.

-Jim

The last known photo.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is it really impossible to find a used rebuilt transmission that will fit a 2006 for far less than $3.5k? That seems excessive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With only $800 to cover everything, it kind of was. To add insult to injury, in my county in Pennsylvania, a car won't pass mechanical inspection with the check engine light on (not to mention the bad catalytic causing an emission fail), and I was due for renewal at the end of February.

To directly answer your question, I certainly did look as I'm no stranger to a wrench, but couldn't find anything less than $1500, and some of those places didn't really invoke a feeling of trust. ($3500 was the dealer quote, about the same cost as a rebuild through AAMCO.)

Hated to let it go.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is it really impossible to find a used rebuilt transmission that will fit a 2006 for far less than $3.5k? That seems excessive.
Guy locally just had his blew and was quoted the same. Probably few and far between with all the ones dying.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guy locally just had his blew and was quoted the same. Probably few and far between with all the ones dying.
That's the impression I got as well. Replacements seem to be pretty scarce.

When I researched the issue, I was really disappointed in Nissan's handling of the situation. I almost didn't go for the Juke because of it. I had even called Nissan of America to see if I had any options through them. (Nope.)

Thankfully my Chevelle is easy to get parts for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think 3500 is pretty cheap for a transmission I just got my replace at the dealership $5,500 my warranty only covers me $1,800 but as a new transmission with 0 miles

Well sorry had to get rid of your Xterra but post some pictures when you put 33's on that juke0:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts