Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With cold weather approaching, I want to go about fixing a minor issue with my X. It's a 2004. Whenever I use the defroseter, the A/C engages (as it should) but it will not disengage after switching off of the defrost mode. The A/C button is not lit up, and pressing it lights it up, and pressing it again turns the light off, but I can still hear the compressor kicking on whenever I turn the fan on. Turning the defroster on with the A/C already on gives me the same symptoms. The only way to turn the compressor off is by turning the car on and off again, and this solution is not very practical when I'm driving. I want to fix this because driving with the A/C on kills my gas mileage and as we all know, we have precious little of that to spare. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this even intended behavior? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
sounds like the blower motor resistor(not sure if the 1st gen x's resistor controlled a/c on off as well as fan speed like many other modern cars do or just the fan speed) or the controls themselves have started going, might get replacements of these cheap from a junkyard and see, the 96-99 pathfinder used similar parts if you need more options so did the 99-04 frontier (obviously)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like the blower motor resistor(not sure if the 1st gen x's resistor controlled a/c on off as well as fan speed like many other modern cars do or just the fan speed) or the controls themselves have started going, might get replacements of these cheap from a junkyard and see, the 96-99 pathfinder used similar parts if you need more options so did the 99-04 frontier (obviously)
That's a good thought,I'll look into that, thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi there. My Xterra also does the same exact thing you explained, and the only way to get it to stop is to turn the car off and then on again. I just thought it was the design of the system, but I have no idea if it's intended or not. I'd like to know if other peoples 1st generations do it or not, as two people's isn't enough for a definitive answer. Most systems are designed to turn the AC on when defrosting nowadays, but they should turn off when on a different settings I'd assume.

EDIT: https://www.clubxterra.org/threads/a-c-compressor-always-engaging-even-when-a-c-button-is-off.41514/

"Others who know more will chime in but on my 2004 if you have it on defrost the compressor will kick in. Then if you want to go to another setting you have to turn the blower all the way off, change mode and then turn blower back on to clear the compressor from coming on."

Maybe try this if you haven't yet. I've never really tried this in depth, but I know turning the vehicle off and then on during a drive is annoying. I'll try it too, to see if it works on my 2003.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there. My Xterra also does the same exact thing you explained, and the only way to get it to stop is to turn the car off and then on again. I just thought it was the design of the system, but I have no idea if it's intended or not. I'd like to know if other peoples 1st generations do it or not, as two people's isn't enough for a definitive answer. Most systems are designed to turn the AC on when defrosting nowadays, but they should turn off when on a different settings I'd assume.

EDIT: https://www.clubxterra.org/threads/a-c-compressor-always-engaging-even-when-a-c-button-is-off.41514/

"Others who know more will chime in but on my 2004 if you have it on defrost the compressor will kick in. Then if you want to go to another setting you have to turn the blower all the way off, change mode and then turn blower back on to clear the compressor from coming on."

Maybe try this if you haven't yet. I've never really tried this in depth, but I know turning the vehicle off and then on during a drive is annoying. I'll try it too, to see if it works on my 2003.
Good find. I don't think I've tried that specific combo of button presses yet. I always switched modes before changing the blower settings. With all the attention this has, it looks like its a little design quirk of Nissan and not a specific malfunction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So I tried that today to no avail. The compressor keeps coming on even after I turned the fan off then switched modes. I'll look into getting another controller unit next, maybe mine is faulty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts