Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I can't get my AC compressor in my 04 to turn on at any fan speed setting. It only turns on when I manually short circuit it - so I know the compressor/clutch is still engaging and in good shape. With the compressor jumped on, the freon is at normal operating levels. Thinking it has something to do with a sensor telling the compressor it doesn't need to be on. I went ahead and changed the Thermo Control Amplifier that's under the glove box that's inserted into the Evaporator - no luck there. I've checked the AC relay and all related fuses and those are good. I was wondering if anyone has any information on the A/C pressure switches and their locations? It seems there are 2 sensors connected to the high and low lines near the condenser on the right & front side of the engine (between the air filter and the driver side headlight). I tested the sensor on the high pressure line using a voltmeter and didn't get anything, so I'm thinking that sensor may have failed. This is the only "AC Switch" I've been able to locate locally (https://www.autozone.com/cooling-he...switch/santech-a-c-switch/580035_481679_17387), and it doesn't really look like the high pressure sensor I tested. I'm thinking that after my last freon recharge I overcharged the system and it caused one of these pressure sensors to fail - I heard some whining noises for a short time after the recharge.
Any info on this situation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Hello all,

I can't get my AC compressor in my 04 to turn on at any fan speed setting. It only turns on when I manually short circuit it - so I know the compressor/clutch is still engaging and in good shape. With the compressor jumped on, the freon is at normal operating levels. Thinking it has something to do with a sensor telling the compressor it doesn't need to be on. I went ahead and changed the Thermo Control Amplifier that's under the glove box that's inserted into the Evaporator - no luck there. I've checked the AC relay and all related fuses and those are good. I was wondering if anyone has any information on the A/C pressure switches and their locations? It seems there are 2 sensors connected to the high and low lines near the condenser on the right & front side of the engine (between the air filter and the driver side headlight). I tested the sensor on the high pressure line using a voltmeter and didn't get anything, so I'm thinking that sensor may have failed. This is the only "AC Switch" I've been able to locate locally (https://www.autozone.com/cooling-he...switch/santech-a-c-switch/580035_481679_17387), and it doesn't really look like the high pressure sensor I tested. I'm thinking that after my last freon recharge I overcharged the system and it caused one of these pressure sensors to fail - I heard some whining noises for a short time after the recharge.
Any info on this situation would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
you need the trinary switch (which is most likely the connector you are jumping anyways) as this controls condenser fan, a/c compressor clutch and low/high pressure cut on/off. looks like this: https://www.autozone.com/cooling-he...switch/santech-a-c-switch/580035_481679_17387 and is mounted near the condenser or evaporator

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.