Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My a/c will come on if I have the blower switch in 1 speed. The compressed come on and cooling fan for condenser works, but the blower fan seems not to be running. As soon as I switch the a higher blower speed the compresser kicks off and the lights on the a/c controllers go out and stop cooling. Has any one had this problem? I am a tech but this is my first Japanese truck and I had never seen an a/c system do this. Hope someone can help.

·
Chrome can go to hell
2,161 Posts
Is there an aftermarket head unit?

Sometimes people buy a new head unit and don't know how to take apart the trim. You could have some wires pulled out on that switch from someone yanking on it.

It's a stretch I know but I haven't heard of this problem yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As far as I can tell there is no discrete thermo amplifier to replace in the 2nd gen X. My A/C has been doing exactly this for at least a year now. Once it flickered on and off (the light, anyways) in fan speed 2. I was ignoring it with varying degrees of success, but it's just too damned hot this summer.

Have you checked out your blower motor resistor pack, or the blower switch? I'm going to check mine tomorrow if possible. Assuming it doesn't hit 100 outside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Right, so after a rather longer delay than I wanted I got to checking the blower motor resistor. Pin 1 appears to be open, which shouldn't be. I could see the open circuit causing behavior like this, I think. Unfortunately it's Sunday and nobody who's open has a blower motor resistor, so I'll have to wait a few more days to see if I'm right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Picked up a new blower motor resistor. Pin 1 reads a resistance to all 4 other pins, as it says it should in the fsm. Popped it in, fan runs at speed 1, A/C light stays on through all 4 fan speeds. I'd say my issue is fixed. Try the blower motor resistor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My a/c will come on if I have the blower switch in 1 speed. The compressed come on and cooling fan for condenser works, but the blower fan seems not to be running. As soon as I switch the a higher blower speed the compresser kicks off and the lights on the a/c controllers go out and stop cooling. Has any one had this problem? I am a tech but this is my first Japanese truck and I had never seen an a/c system do this. Hope someone can help.
Scotty man, did you find the solution? Mine was having the exact same problem so I replaced the resistor and the blower motor thinking the bearings may be bad and did not want the resistor to go out for any reason. I replaced the new resistor and blower and now the a/c light and compressor come on at speed 4 with no fan then just the fan blows and all other speeds with no light or compressor. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Scotty man, did you find the solution? Mine was having the exact same problem so I replaced the resistor and the blower motor thinking the bearings may be bad and did not want the resistor to go out for any reason. I replaced the new resistor and blower and now the a/c light and compressor come on at speed 4 with no fan then just the fan blows and all other speeds with no light or compressor. Anyone have any ideas?
I don't know if it helps in your case but there's a pretty handy diagram on page 32 of the MTC section of the XTerra factory service manual. It's linked somewhere here in the forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found the problem! After buying the blower motor resistor from OReilly auto parts, with no luck and blower motor only working on setting 4. I couldn't figure out what the problem was and thought I was sure it would be the resistor. So I decided to buy a new resister straight from the dealer and sure enough the ac worked good as new so the first resistor they sold me was no good or maybe wasn't for my vehicle. Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
yeah i had a 98 pathfinder it did that as well resistor would be first thing i would try for this everytime

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd been trying to figure out why the AC wasn't working on my '07, checked fuses and relays, refrigerant; then today I noticed the AC light comes on on 1, googled and this was top result. Ordered a new resistor and blower motor to replace while I'm down there. Fingers crossed that'll get things working again. This forum is awesome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts