Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.

This will be my first post looking for ideas, but I've been a troll here for quite awhile. Always love reading the posts, but never had a problem with my Xterra until now, so I figured I'd get an account and put this out there. Maybe we can figure something out before I haul over to the dealership.

So I have a 2013 2WD Exterra, only have 35k miles and this has always been a great functioning vehicle. A couple weeks ago, I ran him through a carwash to get the mud cleaned off and I guess my AC fan sucked the foam suds into the motor. The only reason I think that this is it is because now the motor doesnt work at all, but when riding down the road at 45+, I still get a draft through my vents and can smell the carwash soap. The compressor still cuts on and will even give me cool air but the fan seems to be clogged/stuck/doa.

has anyone had this same kind of problem? If so, were you able to fix it in the garage or what? I know the fan box and all that are under the glove box, but before I go pulling panels open, I just wanted to see if y'all had any ideas.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to the discussion.

~Matthew in SC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Will do. Already looking at resistor replacement video.

Question #2 : Should water or soap getting in there really cause the resistor to burn out? I would think that my Xterra is built to withstand some water, mud, etc, so is it possible that I have a leak somewhere?

Thanks again.

~Matthew

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
If some thing like water or some object goes down the defrost holes and interferes with the movement of the blower blades the resistor blows to keep the fan motor from being damaged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Dejablue.

Success! Replaced the blower resistor and everything works fine now. Much easier than I had expected. This is going to be great because in SC, this time of year, sometimes you will need to run your AC and heater in the same day. I should have made a how to video, but wasn't expecting the easy fix.

Side note:I was sure to check the blower fan with a 12V source before i switched resistor block but once that checked out just plugged the new one in and, Bingo!

FYI for anyone else, the resistor block for the 2013 is a little different from earlier years and does not look like a circuit card, but instead more like a block heat sink with four aluminum blades. I got the variable speed control one that also works with auto climate control. Even though my Xterra doesn't have the auto climate control it works the same. Also, it's the same one that goes in the Armada.

Hope this helps someone else.

~Matthew

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just joined the site and have been looking for information on what could possibly be wrong with my blower motor, and I ran across this post. I have an 09 xterra and for some time it has sounded like a leaf or some other debris was knocking around in the blower. Yesterday it stopped blowing entirely. I was curious if I were to change out the same part that you did if it may work for me as well. Thanks in advance for any input or advice you may have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm so glad to have seen this! The other day i ran my rig through the car wash and the next morning nothing was working either! had to drive all the way into work with a temp of 15 with no heat! fortunately when i got out of work it magically started working. Now I know what the issue is if it ever happens again! thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts