Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1375383&cc=1388167&jnid=512&jpid=0

I am seriously considering installing one of these a/c condenser fans in my 2002 Xterra. A/C performs moderately well when driving, but stop and go or idling it struggles. Already had the X serviced several times for A/C, hose replacements, refill refrigerant, etc.

I want my A/C to perform like it did when new.

Anyways, anyone know if this will fit? Is there an existing electrical connection for it? If not, how would you wire it to come on anytime the A/C is turned on?

Thanks,

ben

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Change the radiator.
So, I've seen you recommend that to just about everyone who asked the question about a cooling issue. If you recall, I posted in the thread about the Electric Fan. On your recommendation, I did replace the radiator, and yet it hasn't resolved my problem.

Here is all that I did:
-- Replace radiator with SC model unit
-- New thermostat, 170 degree unit
-- New radiator hoses
-- New radiator fluid
-- New radiator cap
-- New fuel filter
-- Replace rear diff fluid
-- New PCV valve
-- Seafoam intake and in gas tank
-- cleaned cabin air filter

Back to my original question on the fan assembly. Temps were I live average 110 degrees or more in the summer. There are plenty of cars that have an electric fan on the condenser to augment cooling when vehicle speeds are slow or idle.

I'm guessing it is also common among the X crowd for those that do a lot of offroad driving.

ben

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,781 Posts
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1375383&cc=1388167&jnid=512&jpid=0

I am seriously considering installing one of these a/c condenser fans in my 2002 Xterra. A/C performs moderately well when driving, but stop and go or idling it struggles. Already had the X serviced several times for A/C, hose replacements, refill refrigerant, etc.

I want my A/C to perform like it did when new.

Anyways, anyone know if this will fit? Is there an existing electrical connection for it? If not, how would you wire it to come on anytime the A/C is turned on?

Thanks,

ben
The 2000 and some 2001 models had an AC condenser fan from the factory, mine had one. I never heard it kick on and never once saw it run and I am the original owner. There is a plug I believe in all the OEM wiring harnesses for that fan and it can be found dangling behind the center vertical core support IIRC. Do the 2002-2004 models have a provision in the ECU to actuate an AC condenser fan? No clue.

So, I've seen you recommend that to just about everyone who asked the question about a cooling issue. If you recall, I posted in the thread about the Electric Fan. On your recommendation, I did replace the radiator, and yet it hasn't resolved my problem.

Here is all that I did:
-- Replace radiator with SC model unit
-- New thermostat, 170 degree unit
-- New radiator hoses
-- New radiator fluid
-- New radiator cap
-- New fuel filter
-- Replace rear diff fluid
-- New PCV valve
-- Seafoam intake and in gas tank
-- cleaned cabin air filter

Back to my original question on the fan assembly. Temps were I live average 110 degrees or more in the summer. There are plenty of cars that have an electric fan on the condenser to augment cooling when vehicle speeds are slow or idle.

I'm guessing it is also common among the X crowd for those that do a lot of offroad driving.

ben
Deja recommends it because in a lot of cases it is the issue or a contributing factor.

My truck the AC blows at the vent at 40 degrees, whether the truck is moving or sitting still in 90 plus degree weather with matching humidity, and will flat out run you out of the truck. Why? Hell I don't know, the AC was non functional for nearly 4 years due to a leaking high pressure hose and I fixed it finally along with doing some other mods at the same time so I'm not certain of the effect they all had. I do have a 3000 CFM electric engine cooling puller fan with an aluminum shroud and it is wired to run whenever the AC compressor is running. Does it help with the AC when sitting still? Certainly. Will adding an engine E-fan fix your AC issues, I don't know but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
02-04 xterras (02 X owner) dont come with e-fans and last time I pulled the radiator(6ish months ago) I dont remember any spare plugs in the radiator area. Not saying the plugs not there, just that I didn't see it if it was. Also I thought the efan was for towing or at least thats why it was put on the frontiers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I end up getting an e-fan I'll either wire it to run continuously when the A/C is on or just have a switch on the dash and turn it on manually myself.

RacerXXL -- could you post a pic of your fan showing how it is mounted. This could be useful since I may have to fab up some brackets to hold it.

ben

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you want it you can have it. You might end up having to spend more time getting it to run properly than actually installing it. You need to be able to switch it on and off. I think there is a kit you can buy that will allow you to install a switch in the dash. To be able to get it switch on with the a/c, you need to do a bit more work and wiring and relaying or you risk shorting out other components and sensors. Electrical work is a pain and can ruin your computer if you are not diligent, precise and careful. Even when I clean a sensor, I always disconnect the battery. Hell I even disconnect the battery to do majority of work that is not electrical related because if you knock around in there and hit those sensors or you move wires around, you can short out your computer etc.

I would also suggest, if you have not already, to just run the air on recycle because the air is much colder going into the return and gets re chilled allowing a much colder air. The a/c has to work harder to chill hot humid air from outside. Also, invest in some good weather proofing seals around your doors and insulated the inside as much as you can. Block out as much sunlight as you can. Also to note, the a/c compressor works its best at 1500 RPMs so if you are at idle, just keep the RPM's up. It's not all that great for the engine over time and you will notice a big drop in gas but if you wanna stay cool then it's up to you if it is wort the trade out. In the manual it even says to properly diagnose the a/c, run the engine at 1500 RPMs for a few minutes. Try all the easy simple stuff first before you go poking around in the electrical parts.

·
Administrator
9,781 Posts
If I end up getting an e-fan I'll either wire it to run continuously when the A/C is on or just have a switch on the dash and turn it on manually myself.

RacerXXL -- could you post a pic of your fan showing how it is mounted. This could be useful since I may have to fab up some brackets to hold it.

ben
Ben mine is wired with a switch for OFF-fan will not run, ON-fan runs continuously, and AUTO-fan runs when coolant temp exceeds 180F or when the AC compressor cycles on.

Pics of the unit

Had issues with the shroud contacting the steering box so a modification was in order to gain clearance on the lower drive side corner.

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
There must be some other issue ,its over a 100 every day here and all the travel here is stop sign to stop sign i hardly ever get up to 30 mph and i never over heat and the air will freeze you out on low.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There must be some other issue ,its over a 100 every day here and all the travel here is stop sign to stop sign i hardly ever get up to 30 mph and i never over heat and the air will freeze you out on low.
I agree DejaBlue, but I've been chasing this for so long that all I have left is replace parts in some logical fashion and hope for the best. I'm going to replace the clutch fan tomorrow morning even though I think it is still good. It is cheap enough part and will help further eliminate causes. I actually link my X overheating issue directly to the A/C issue. Seems like there isn't enough air getting over the condensor at slow speeds, condensor heats up, heat is transferred to radiator, and X starts to over heat. Cross your fingers that the clutch fan is the cause.

Thanks RacerXXL for the pics. Looks like you removed the stock clutch fan (or your year X never had them) and made your own radiator shroud for the e-fan.

What I'm invisioning is putting the condensor fan on the front of the condensor to force air through it toward the radiator.

ben

·
Administrator
9,781 Posts
I agree DejaBlue, but I've been chasing this for so long that all I have left is replace parts in some logical fashion and hope for the best. I'm going to replace the clutch fan tomorrow morning even though I think it is still good. It is cheap enough part and will help further eliminate causes. I actually link my X overheating issue directly to the A/C issue. Seems like there isn't enough air getting over the condensor at slow speeds, condensor heats up, heat is transferred to radiator, and X starts to over heat. Cross your fingers that the clutch fan is the cause.

Thanks RacerXXL for the pics. Looks like you removed the stock clutch fan (or your year X never had them) and made your own radiator shroud for the e-fan.

What I'm invisioning is putting the condensor fan on the front of the condensor to force air through it toward the radiator.

ben
Yes I removed the fan clutch and installed this instead and installed the Efan and new shroud. To do what you are talking about you are going start blocking air flow with the fan body, seems to me they work better on the back, in a puller configuration, with a shroud and a good seal to the radiator and good seal between the radiator and condenser.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Put a new fan clutch on and did a little driving yesterday. Although in my hands, the old and new units felt no different when rotated, I believe the old one was bad. Moving around town, I can really hear the fan spin now where as I don't really recall noticing it before. It has real authority now. Only a thorough test will show for sure if it helps keep the X cooler and/or help with the A/C performance. Temps have been a bit cooler and more humid lately. Need a hot and dry day to really test.

ben

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well after a full week of driving and various times of sitting at idle like drive-thru and traffic, it seems that my issue was resolved by replacing the fan clutch. Which is weird, because other than overheating issues I had no reason to believe that the original unit was bad.

Something else to note. I used to hear what I thought was valve train noise when the engine was hotter than average and under load, like accelerating up an on ramp. That sound has also gone away. So, I guess the noise was from the fan clutch.

ben

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ben mine is wired with a switch for OFF-fan will not run, ON-fan runs continuously, and AUTO-fan runs when coolant temp exceeds 180F or when the AC compressor cycles on.

Pics of the unit

Had issues with the shroud contacting the steering box so a modification was in order to gain clearance on the lower drive side corner.

Looks tight! What size of fan is that and where did you get the shroud?

·
Administrator
9,781 Posts
3000 CFM and there was a complete any making them Concept Customs. The shroud is very simple could be folded up in no time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts