Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just acquired a 01 Xterra its 4wd. I dont want 4WD so i want to convert it to 2wd.
Looking in google i see people go from 2wd to 4wd, so needless to say i didnt find much info on this.
So has anyone gone from 4wd to 2wd? Would I just reverse 2wd to 4wd ?

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
137 Posts
If you don't put it in 4wd then it's already 2wd by default.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s a massive amount of work with the only real gain I can think of being a weight reduction.

Why do you not want the 4WD? As stated above just leave it in 2WD and call it a day.

Going to bag and body it. So no need for the 4wd stuff.

·
Registered
137 Posts
To properly remove the transfer case and make it a true 2WD, you'll need either the tailshaft housing from a 2WD or the entire transmission, and possibly the rear driveshaft. (I'm speaking in generalities because I'm not completely sure what fits and what can just be swapped.)

You'll also need to remove the front diff, front driveshaft, and both CV axles.

You might also need to deal with any DTCs from a disconnected 4WD that the computer(s) think should be reporting, but no longer is.

If that is how it is, it might be easier to find a 2WD and swap the guy. I'm sure he'd be ecstatic to have a working 4WD, and you'd get what you want to start with. As a matter of fact, I'm about to replace the front diff on my '01 and have the "new" one sitting here. Depending on what you have, I could just pull the diff, front driveshaft, and CV axles and swap ya, but I'll have to know fast since I plan to do the work this weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To properly remove the transfer case and make it a true 2WD, you'll need either the tailshaft housing from a 2WD or the entire transmission, and possibly the rear driveshaft. (I'm speaking in generalities because I'm not completely sure what fits and what can just be swapped.)

You'll also need to remove the front diff, front driveshaft, and both CV axles.

You might also need to deal with any DTCs from a disconnected 4WD that the computer(s) think should be reporting, but no longer is.

If that is how it is, it might be easier to find a 2WD and swap the guy. I'm sure he'd be ecstatic to have a working 4WD, and you'd get what you want to start with. As a matter of fact, I'm about to replace the front diff on my '01 and have the "new" one sitting here. Depending on what you have, I could just pull the diff, front driveshaft, and CV axles and swap ya, but I'll have to know fast since I plan to do the work this weekend.

Heres my plan for this thing. LS ( i kmow it will be tight and im not to worried about cutting the firewall since it will be body dropped) swap with a GM trans. I did find out the upper and lower A arms are the same for 2wd and 4wd. So I need to change the knuckles and hubs to 2wd ones.
The xterra now has no engine and the trans has only reverse (not sure whats wrong with it). My buddy bought the xterra for the engine for his frontier,and i bought the rest.
So anything for the 4wd i have will be removed since i wont need it anymore. Not sure about the rear end of this i havent looked into it to see if it will handle the LS or not.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Check the label on the jamb of the driver's door. At the bottom left corner is the rear diff info. You can see that mine says HG46, which indicates the H233B axle with a 233mm (9.17") ring gear, a 4.636:1 ratio, and 33-spline axles.

The 3.3L V6 in my '01 was rated 168-180 HP and 196-202 ft-lb torque when new, and it has 204K miles now. Supercharged models were rated 210 HP and 246 ft-lb.

Compared to the output of any LS V8, I think you should consider a rear end that can handle more, as well as one with disc brakes instead of drum.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
636 Posts
Either way this is nonsense. If you really wanted to do the swap, you could pull the front diff and driveshaft and take apart the front axle and just leave the stubs up front to keep the grease in the bearings. You’re not going to get any lower than the bump stops using a torsion front end and the diff delete would help make room for an engine that will never fit or work right.

On a side note, I make a general recommendation for the youngsters at my work and that is:

Don’t ever install an engine that cost more than your vehicle is worth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts