Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a stock 2004 X with the 3.3 It has 200,500 miles on it.
I'm having problems with my hubs. I started getting a grinding noise up front that was intermittent. The noise would come and go and i couldn't really find anything that would cause it. I did notice that it would not happen at all when in 4 wheel drive. I concluded that my auto hubs were shot so I bought the cheapest pair of manual hubs I could find. I think they were $80 for the pair. I don't even know the brand. I put them on and of course the noise is still there. It does stop when in 4 wheel drive and the 4 wheel drive works just fine with the manual hubs.
So it seems the hubs are trying to engage on there own, maybe?
Did I install the manual hubs incorrectly?
Maybe something else altogether is wrong?
Any thoughts?
Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If the noise hasn’t changed but the parts have, it’s likely you have a different issue. On a 1st gen x, your front axle and differential should only be moving with the hubs locked. Could possibly be a wheel bearing. These type of things are very hard to help with with nothing to look at and nothing to listen to but it’s unlikely to be your hubs

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackberry, thank you for the response. After doing more research I thought maybe it was just lack of lubercation. I took the aftermarket hubs off, greased the hell out of them. Reinstalled and the noise is gone. I've done 200 miles now with no noise. I feel like a dumbass. I bet my factory auto hubs just needed a good lube.
Oh well, maybe this post will help somebody else out in the future. When in doubt, lube it up!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts