Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Nissan xterra 3” SL Bilsteins 33s
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m looking for some input my xterra has 4.6 gears and I’m looking at putting the 4.9 differentials in with a front lokka when it comes. I’m wondering if the work is worth the .3 difference? I went from a 265/70r16 to a 285/75r16 and I’m kinda worried about the extra wear on the transmission on the highway it constantly down shifts to the point I don’t use cruise control and hills in the city can be interesting.
Thank you

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,163 Posts
Anything helps when you’re using larger tires so if the price is right then yes I’d do it. Bonus points if it’s a limited slip. I’m not sure what combinations are available but according to the door tag I have a 4.9 but it’s definitely not the limited slip

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
912 Posts
I've heard both sides on LSDs. Some say that they tend to wear too quickly and eventually become a common open diff; others promote them as the perfect solution.

@Blackberry, would you be kind enough to share some thoughts?

Since @ZackM123 plans to get a front locker, would it be better overall if he were to get a 4.9 selectable locker for the rear as well?

I'm certain that any thoughts you share will be more valuable to us than the time you take to post them. And thank you in advance, too!

·
Registered
2001 Nissan xterra 3” SL Bilsteins 33s
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunately at this point due to cost and the list of other parts (front bumper, rock sliders, etc) I want a rear locker is not in my cards although it would be great. I ordered the front lokka a couple weeks ago and have began to look for the used low mile 4.9 differentials. I have the lsd in my 4.6 so it would be nice to find another lsd diff even though I don’t think it works much.
Thanks everyone for there input

·
Registered
478 Posts
I went from a 4.6 to 5.13 gears on mine. The factory tire size is basically 29-30's more or less, and I went to 32's, so re-gearing to 5.13 put me back at the original gear ratios just about. I already had a front Lokka. The front diff was fortunately pretty close to a good mesh pattern when I did it, and required minimal adjustment. It took me about 7 adjustment tries to get the rear gears properly set with the correct shimming, which was extremely tedious. Pro tip: you can order shims from McMaster Carr that are approximately the exact inner and outer diameter of the hard to find factory shims, in various hundreths of thickness to get the exact pack thickness you need. a 12+ ton shop press is almost necessary if you don't have one. Harbor freight one works great.
I went ahead and did a rear ARB locker while I had the rear locker apart. I only replaced bearings that I removed from the diff shafts with the presses, as pretty much all the factory bearings were in superb condition.
You would notice a difference if you are increasing tire size, but I wouldn't change the diffs just to change them unless you are substantially upsizing tires.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Almost forgot, I did a torque test on my old LSD before I took the axle apart, and it was MAYBE doing 50-60FtLb before breaking loose. That's something, but it's not much. The friction pack is probably pretty worn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts