Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya all, finally found some 16" aluminum wheels in good shape, and I'm going to get TirePressure Sensors for them. However, I'm seeing mixed reviews on these. Seems Nissan uses a 315 MHz TPS so I was wondering if anyone has used the aftermarket brands that are 315 MHz? my logic is any that use that frequency should work right?

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,282 Posts
Heya all, finally found some 16" aluminum wheels in good shape, and I'm going to get TirePressure Sensors for them. However, I'm seeing mixed reviews on these. Seems Nissan uses a 315 MHz TPS so I was wondering if anyone has used the aftermarket brands that are 315 MHz? my logic is any that use that frequency should work right?
That is likely a question best answered by a seasoned Nissan tech. There may well be more to the communications between the sensors and the mothership than the frequency.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is likely a question best answered by a seasoned Nissan tech. There may well be more to the communications between the sensors and the mothership than the frequency.
I know there are a few here, however I’m fairly certain if I were to go to the dealership there is a strong chance they will say aftermarket ones will not work, and I’mcertain that is not the truth

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,658 Posts
I know this isn't an answer that you can take to the bank.

The sensors in my 2011 Chevy car were starting to show "---" for one or two wheels several years ago. It was also about time for new tires, so I bought 4 aftermarket sensors at the same time as the tires. I have since worn out those tires and replaced them at a different tire store and the sensors are still working perfectly.

I kinda doubt that there is much to be considered other than the proper frequency.

One thing that might help is to find out what it takes to update the location when the tires are rotated. For my Chevy, I have the tool. I just go to each tire in a circle: LF, RF, RR, LR. After it resets each one, the horn honks once and the turn signal light for the next one illuminates. After the last one, the horn honks several times as a signal that I'm done.

Check an online tire seller. If they sell TPMS sensors, they should also be able to tell you what is specifically required to use them on your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently had the shop replace my sensors in my subaru and the price was kinda stoopud but I just wanted to get it fixed and not bother with it myself so I paid I think it was around 50 each installed and programmed. The following day I ordered my own TPMS scanner and programmer which was a bit much but at least I dont have to worry about it for later TPMS replacements. I found a set that has claims that it is for Nissans of my year and make for 40 bucks all 4, so I’ll give that a try!

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,441 Posts
Most of the early sensors were made by Schrader. There was 315 and 433 MHz sensors. Many aftermarket sensors will not program. Many aftermarket sensors are “universal” and need to be programmed using a special tool in order to work. I’ve seen people furious when they have to pay to attempt programming on incompatible sensors that don’t work and I’ve seen people save hundreds of dollars getting cheap replacements. I would recommend if buying aftermarket then look for Schrader brand and keep in mind that many of these cheap replacements have been sitting on the shelf for quite some time. Internal battery is by far the #1 cause of failure here so if you’re buying something that’s already 4 years old…

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I found a set that claim to be direct replacement for the Nissan part number, but at 29 bucks it isn't going to be a huge loss, and the seller has free returns as well. I am going to dissect the old ones to see how and if I could replace the batteries in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really don't know why you would bother. Lots of hassle and expense for something you can do manually in about 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In case anyone needs gen 2 replacement sensors, confirmed these work on my 06

Though you will still need a proper programmer. I am using an autel maxiTPMS TS508 and it worked like a charm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts