Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone on here was from the Colorado area, and if so, where is your favorite place to camp out...I'm not talking with a camper, straight tent camping, with some light 4wd trails if possible. The wife and I are looking for a good trip this summer near us that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd love to know too. I've been up to Silverthorn and Lyons the past couple years. I was thinking of hitting up Bunce School Road and checking out the camping there. From what I've read it's an easy trail, which would be my first.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We like to go to Medicine Bow National Forest between Cheyenne and Laramie, WY. It's quiet and there are lots of trails. It's not too far of a drive from Denver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally have camped all over Colorado. I like to hit up near woodland park off rampart range road, there are some nice off trails where you can get a ways from the main road and pretty secluded. This is pretty close to where I grew up so it was nice for a quick 45 min get away from the springs and I made this trip hundreds of times. I like to go up near eleven mile canyon and reservoir too, not paid sites, but off the beaten path. Mainly cause I do a lot of fly fishing, the canyon is great for that so I am close when I wake up. If you head a little past that there are a ton of camping sites and trails near Tarryall reservoir, all free. I would say anywhere around highway 24, and 67 are good bets if you want somewhere fairly close and you are along I-25 from Denver to the Springs. If you want to go further away go west toward Buena Vista and Leadville, a lot of good peaks to climb from Mt. Antero to Quandry Peak.... I would say there is a lot more, it is Colorado. Others might have different personal preferences and suggestions too. Maybe some places I haven't been yet either and should check out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally have camped all over Colorado. I like to hit up near woodland park off rampart range road, there are some nice off trails where you can get a ways from the main road and pretty secluded. This is pretty close to where I grew up so it was nice for a quick 45 min get away from the springs and I made this trip hundreds of times. I like to go up near eleven mile canyon and reservoir too, not paid sites, but off the beaten path. Mainly cause I do a lot of fly fishing, the canyon is great for that so I am close when I wake up. If you head a little past that there are a ton of camping sites and trails near Tarryall reservoir, all free. I would say anywhere around highway 24, and 67 are good bets if you want somewhere fairly close and you are along I-25 from Denver to the Springs. If you want to go further away go west toward Buena Vista and Leadville, a lot of good peaks to climb from Mt. Antero to Quandry Peak.... I would say there is a lot more, it is Colorado. Others might have different personal preferences and suggestions too. Maybe some places I haven't been yet either and should check out.
My brother took me to a place down undo the springs, he called it middle beaver, but I haven't been able to find it since, not on maps or anything...it was an awesome place. Have you heard of it to MB?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My brother took me to a place down undo the springs, he called it middle beaver, but I haven't been able to find it since, not on maps or anything...it was an awesome place. Have you heard of it to MB?
Yes, I have been up there a lot too, if it is the same place he is talking about, awesome spots to camp and fish. I fish up at Mason Reservoir and McReynolds Reservior a ton during the summer and that is run off to Middle Beaver Creek. As well as Penrose-Rosemont Resrvoir. A lot of places to do some off-roading and get into the mountains in that area. To get there you can head up from either the Broadmoor side in Colorado Springs from Old Stage Road, which is all dirt off-road or you can go up hwy 24, turn south to hwy 67 toward Cripple Creek and get to a dirt road access from the back side.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I have been up there a lot too, if it is the same place he is talking about, awesome spots to camp and fish. I fish up at Mason Reservoir and McReynolds Reservior a ton during the summer and that is run off to Middle Beaver Creek. As well as Penrose-Rosemont Resrvoir. A lot of places to do some off-roading and get into the mountains in that area. To get there you can head up from either the Broadmoor side in Colorado Springs from Old Stage Road, which is all dirt off-road or you can go up hwy 24, turn south to hwy 67 toward Cripple Creek and get to a dirt road access from the back side.
Have you ever heard of Clyde campground? That is right in the area of where I think the middle beaver place my brother took me to, and it is right where you said to go...lol..so I'm guessing that is it. Planning a late June/1st of July trip up there...first boondock camping trip with our near 2 year old. Can't wait

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts