Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering since I have a 2WD Xterra (Not a 4WD version I run in 2WD) Can I even get a locker for it? Someone was telling me to just get one and all my problems are solved. But I'm also hearing that I should focus on lift and meaty tires instead since its 2WD. Help Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
646 Posts
Tires and lockers are 2 different ways to try to get places.

Have you ever seen videos of the hapless person who walks outside and starts sliding down their driveway on ice? Both feet are on the ground (locker is engaged), but they still slide.

If they had shoes or boots with better grip, they could stand there on one foot and not slip (tires are better).

With better tires and a locker, wouldn't that be the best you could get with a 2WD?

Another analogy that might make more sense: A car in the winter that's trying to navigate a snowy road. Do summer and/or all-season tires with 4WD work better, or 4 snow tires with 2WD?

The tests have shown that 4 snow tires on 2WD accelerate, stop, and corner better than the "almighty" 4WD with lesser tires.

Overall, get the tires first. If that still doesn't flip yer knickers, get a 4WD vehicle and put a locker in it, maybe even 2.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra SE V6 M/T
46 Posts
Tires and lockers are 2 different ways to try to get places.

Have you ever seen videos of the hapless person who walks outside and starts sliding down their driveway on ice? Both feet are on the ground (locker is engaged), but they still slide.

If they had shoes or boots with better grip, they could stand there on one foot and not slip (tires are better).

With better tires and a locker, wouldn't that be the best you could get with a 2WD?

Another analogy that might make more sense: A car in the winter that's trying to navigate a snowy road. Do summer and/or all-season tires with 4WD work better, or 4 snow tires with 2WD?

The tests have shown that 4 snow tires on 2WD accelerate, stop, and corner better than the "almighty" 4WD with lesser tires.

Overall, get the tires first. If that still doesn't flip yer knickers, get a 4WD vehicle and put a locker in it, maybe even 2.
I've been curious about this too! My X is 2WD and being on this forum has made me want to get into wheeling a bit but I didn't want to just jump into getting another rig. This makes me think I can try it with mine for a bit!

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,017 Posts
I’ve been stuck in the mud in a full size 4x4 just to get pulled out by a 2WD Ford ranger. A lot of depends on how crazy you get

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Im not looking to go rock crawling, Just want to know that on trails I wont have to bypass so much. I've seen some videos about how 2WD can be just as good as the 4WD monsters as long as you have some beefier tires and some lift.

I'm just curious is a rear locker is something worth doing on a 2WD since it engages your brakes as well

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,439 Posts
2WD will never perform as well as 4x4.

That being said a 2wd with good tires and a locker will take you through some fairly sketchy terrain.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Many vehicles with VDC also use a E-LSD system that can apply brakes to the wheel with the least traction allowing the vehicle to gain traction without the negative behaviors of a locker.

depending on where you live and what kind of locker you get has a big effect as well. Air lockers are nice because you flip a switch to lock them but the ratchet types are locked by inertia so anytime you’re on the gas then you’re locked

this can be fun in the snow if you like spinning around all the time but could be less safe

·
Registered
646 Posts
So Im not looking to go rock crawling, Just want to know that on trails I wont have to bypass so much. I've seen some videos about how 2WD can be just as good as the 4WD monsters as long as you have some beefier tires and some lift.

I'm just curious is a rear locker is something worth doing on a 2WD since it engages your brakes as well
A rear locker does not engage your brakes in any manner.

A VDC or some kind of ABS/ESC/Stabil-Trak system could use the brakes to control wheel slippage, but it does not qualify as a "locker"; instead, those systems act similar to an LSD, and some are better than others.

A true locker simply makes both wheels spin at the same speed no matter if you're in a turn or going straight. That means that you'll get a minimum of 1 rear wheel to try and move the vehicle if the other wheel is on ice/wet leaves/ snow/wet mud and can't get any traction.

The tires are what bite into the ground, the locker is what makes both spin together.

An open diff (standard on most vehicles) allows the 2 wheels to spin at different speeds (aka its name, a differential) when conditions require it, such as in turns.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Here are some required videos that you must watch. :D There will be a quiz afterward.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Having E-LSD combined with a true locker can spell trouble. That’s why the PRO-4X electronic locker is preferred. The diff lock control unit sends a signal over CAN and the ABS control unit will cancel E-LSD operation.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was wondering since I have a 2WD Xterra (Not a 4WD version I run in 2WD) Can I even get a locker for it? Someone was telling me to just get one and all my problems are solved. But I'm also hearing that I should focus on lift and meaty tires instead since its 2WD. Help Thanks
Yes you can get a locker! I'd go to google search type in that " Lockers for sale for a 200? Xterra

1 - 11 of 11 Posts