Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in switching my 2004 supercharged x from 2wd to 4wd. According to most things I've read People say I will need a new transmission. I haven't looked under a first gen xterra that's 4x4, but wouldn't I just need a transfer case, rear drive shaft, front driveshaft/differential, and new hubs? It sounds like a lot but I am planning on getting everything from my local wrench-a-part. Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
787 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
I've been interested in switching my 2004 supercharged x from 2wd to 4wd. According to most things I've read People say I will need a new transmission. I haven't looked under a first gen xterra that's 4x4, but wouldn't I just need a transfer case, rear drive shaft, front driveshaft/differential, and new hubs? It sounds like a lot but I am planning on getting everything from my local wrench-a-part. Any advice would be great.
You need a lot more than that ECM , clutch pedal, brackets slave cyl hoses ,shifter etc,etc,etc. Sell get another truck!!1

·
Registered
444 Posts
I believe the 2wd transmission is different then the 4wd. I mean, yes you could in theory add a transfer case, change your rear drive line, add your front end, etc...but you also have to take into account where the shifter for the transfer case is going to go, not to mention the 2wd transmission and the 4wd transfer case aren't compatible. You would need the tranny, TC, front diff, driveline (both front and rear), possibly the steering knuckles(not sure there), and probably more that I'm missing, and unless you're getting one hell of a package deal, it might not be worth it money wise, unless you're just doing it for fun

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was thinking about doing a divorced transfer case, but that would mean getting a custom rear drive shaft and front drive shaft. I found some great 1st gen 4wd xterras that are totaled but the driveline is in tact. I figure I'll buy a totaled car which you can find for like 400 dollars and steal parts off of it. I won't be doing this anytime soon, but I enjoy working on cars so the work doesn't scare me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts