Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The AutoGuide.com 2016 Truck of the Year Award recipient is the tough Nissan Titan XD.

The all-new pickup impressed the AutoGuide.com editors with its robust towing capabilities, clever features and strong diesel engine.

'The new Nissan Titan XD offers a comfortable, quiet ride and more confidence than what you’ll find in today’s half-ton pickup market,' said Stephen Elmer, AutoGuide.com’s resident Truck Expert. 'For the customer who is focused on towing, the Titan XD will deliver, while a number of handy features like the new trailer light check system make the truck a great working companion.'

Powered by a 5.0-liter Cummins turbo-diesel V8 good for 310 horsepower and a brawny 555 pound-feet of torque, the Titan XD hits a trucking sweet spot by offering heavy-duty confidence without sacrificing the ease-of-use and comfort of a half-ton truck. Combined with a big helping of smart features tailored for real truck customers, the Titan XD proves that it is not afraid of an honest day’s work.

The Nissan Titan XD beat out the 2016 Toyota Tacoma and GMC Canyon Diesel for top honors. Congratulations to the team at Nissan.

Read more about the 2016 Nissan Titan XD Wins AutoGuide.com Truck of the Year Award at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The one negative that sticks out about this truck is its acceleration. It is pretty slow. Biggest problem is its weight. It weighs over 7000lbs. I know speed isn't the point of trucks likes this, BUT people have gotten used to modern trucks, even diesel ones, being pretty quick. Will have to see how this thing sells. I'm more interested in the "true" 1/2 ton model that is coming with near 400hp.

Wonder how well this new Cummins will hold up and how well it responds to simple mods and whether or not the transmission/axle can hold up to increased power.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I wouldn't worry too much. I have an 04 titan and it is great. Maybe not as heavy but it is also a gas engine. I like that nissan has chosen to not be towing wimps like the rest of the 1/2 ton market. A lot of 1/2 tons barely have better towing than my xterra does, and that is pathetic. Nothing more than a ploy to get a person to buy a 3/4 ton. Whereas the titan can do up to 9,700.

This new nissan is much the same way. It's more or less a 5/8 ton truck. AND it is cheaper than comparative 1/2 ton trucks. To spec a chevy or ford out as much, would run about 50,000 for a 1/2 ton, the nissan does it for about 6,000 less.

As for the engine holding, up, I wouldn't worry about that either. If they hold up in a dodge, it should here, too.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This Titan XD is not a true 1/2 ton. Nissan even says it is between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. There is a different model coming that s a true 1/2 that actually uses a different frame and should be much lighter. The 1/2 ton model will also finally offer a V6. Supposed to be the VQ40 but not sure if Nissan has confirmed it yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not sure what the point will be in having an "actual" half-ton, or having a v6 in it. Seems like a fail to me when they already have the frontier. It certainly won't have capabilities much greater than the frontier already has. The NA truck market is already dominated by the big 3. In order to really make a splash, nissan would have to have a truck with significantly better capabilities than the current half-ton offerings. A better move would be to slightly reduce the size of the titan and drop its weight, while keeping its capacities close or the same.

Really, 1/2 ton trucks are for those who want to have a truck without actually having something all that useful.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think its kinda weird that they did this too. I could see if they did a full on 3/4 ton but that would really need more power to compete. Like a said, the true 1/2 ton will even ride on a different frame than the XD model and be considerably lighter. I think the 1/2 will probably sell or but not sure how well the XD will sell with the price they are asking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts