Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time the gas cap cover spring has sprung. The cover door just flops around between open and closed. Last time I took it to the dealer, this time I tried to fix it myself but no joy. Anyone else have this issue? How do you snap the spring back where is belongs? Is there a fix for this so it doesn't keep happening? I had no luck fixing this myself so far. I have sprayed undercoating, oily rust check, all over the door so this is part of the problem no doubt.

I have 2400 miles on the vehicle now. I'm amazed at the traction control. I can hardly make the beast slide all over the road. It will do a donut instantly as soon as the TC is turned off. My mileage isn't great 14.5 MPG in USA gallons mixed highway and city.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Winter gas usually sucks (depending where you live), extra time to warm up or defrost can take a toll on mpg's and learning to be a little easier on the skinny pedal will eventually help you get some more mpg's out of it but not a lot. Price we pay for driving such awesomeness. :)

Hit the dealer up for a fix, you don't have enough miles to worry about it yourself. Either that or maybe try a different dealer.
If you really want to fix yourself maybe a couple pics and folks could point you in what might be wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't believe no one else here has had this issue. It has happened twice to me. I checked other online forums and it is on those forums. Anyway I needed to use a sturdy pick and pull harder on the spring clip and it will snap back into place. The picks I have are too small so I guess I'll get a bigger one. I have placed tie wraps in the holes in the spring so they can't slide all the way down but that won't work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts