Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2014 Xterra: What do I need for towing lite camper?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MeToo 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I would like to get my 2014 Xterra ready for towing a lite camper (3500lb dry or less).

My X doesn't have a tow package. Can anyone can help outline for me the various parts I need to be fully tow ready. I live in CO, so we'll be towing up hills (in addition to flatter roads). Any help would be appreciated!

#2 ·
It would help to know what engine and transmission you have, please.

#6 ·
This depends on what kind of brakes your trailer has, if it has them. Most pop ups don’t have brakes and many small/midsize campers may very well have inertia brakes instead of electric brakes. Brake controllers only function is to pass power to electric trailer brakes. I am also in CO

#7 ·
This is helpful. I am looking at buying a No Bo 16.1. It is 2800 lbs dry. I have an Xterra ProX 2014 automatic. I've owned it for a couple of years. The trailer dealership asked me if the hitch was installed on the xterra at the factory or is aftermarket. I don't know. Were hitch factory installed on these trucks? The trailer dealer is also recommending that I have break control/power install on the truck as the trailer has breaks. From the post above, I am assuming that this is a good idea. Correct? Finally, the dealer said I have the choice to install transmission cooling, is this necessary? Thanks! M

#8 ·
I think the trailer salesman is steering you in the right direction.

If the trailer has brakes, I would definitely hook them up. They will help a lot on wet or icy roads as well as going down steep hills. Basically they will help keep the trailer from driving the truck. ie. it won't keep pushing you when you apply the brakes and will help you maintain control, especially in the event of hard braking.

I believe that the gen2 has a transmission cooler from the factory, but I'd definitely check into that and even consider upgrading by adding an additional or a large unit. Since you're in Colorado I assume that you'll be going up a lot of hills. Towing a trailer can really heat up the Transmission fluid. The more cooling capacity the better. Adding a cooler or upgrading to a larger unit will cost a lot less than a transmission.

#9 ·
I added a Derale thermostatic valve for my 2004. It allows 10% to always go to the trans cooler and 90% is returned to the trans without being cooled. As the fluid temp rises, the valve fully opens around 190°F to force all fluid to the cooler.

I agree with @Satito about adding a larger trans fluid cooler. The one thing you do not want is for your fluid to exceed 250°F ever, and you're better off to have it at or below 230°. This is according to the folks at "motoiq" who race, test, break stuff, fix it, race, and test some more. That's just to keep the oil from breaking down. You also don't want the trans components getting too hot, but at least they're better able to withstand the heat.

The better you can cool the fluid, the better off you are. With a thermostatic valve, you also won't over-cool it and make it sluggish in cold weather.