Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! First time poster here.

I am about to get rid of my Rally Car (06 evo) and take the plunge into the Xterra world. I was looking at the Wrangler Unlimited Rubi as well but I believe I am making the right choice by going with the Xterra Pro 4x.

My questions stem from not being able to find the answers online. So I do apologize if some of these questions sound stupid but I have done research, I promise.

1) 2014 Pro 4x or 2015 Pro 4x? Which one is more preferable? I have a line on both with low miles.

2) For obvious reasons, I am a manual transmission fan. Thoughts on this? Which is more preferable? Most off road guys I talk to say automatic.

3) Does the manual transmission have diff lock?

Any encouragement, thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
26 Posts
all pro 4x have a rear diff locker
depends what you want to do with it
if you're gonna wheel it hard and specifically on rocks or mud, i'd say go with the auto
i've had manual and auto jeep wranglers and now an auto pro 4x... haven't wheeled it yet but the auto was definitely better on the rocks with my jeeps
The pro 4x is a much better all around truck compared to the wrangler
better road manners and better mileage on the highway
that being said, if you're mainly gonna off road with it and its not a daily driver.. i'd go with the Rubi - you'd be surprised what those things can do stock off the lot

·
Registered
37 Posts
I currently have a heavily modded 05 Evo 8 which I love to death and plan to keep as long as I could. In June 2015 I bought a new metallic blue Pro4X and am very happy with it. I went with the auto and leather interior since I wanted something that I could eventually wheel with.

Go for the 2015 if you could find one since it would be a year newer.

I've shifted the gears on a manual Xterra and didn't like the feel too much....too sloppy feeling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Couple things just my opinion.

Short answer: get the manual. 15 is the last year the truck was made so id go with that, but either way (14 or 15)you're good.

Long answer:

1)most anyone with experience will tell you a manual is more desirable for off roading. Do some research anywhere and you'll see this. Simply put it offers more control over the power you put down.

2)manual is always more fun. I have a 15 p4x and I came from a Scion FR-S 6 speed and have owned several cars with good manuals. (S2000, Civic si). The X is no exception to this rule. Of course it isn't a sporty feeling transmission but it is quite smooth for what it is. It's based of the Z 6 speed and I have had no complaints about it.

3)if you're going to be doing any serious off-roading and can afford it, just get the Rubi. Love my X and It is is plenty capable and a great truck l and way better on road and blah blah. Just if your goals specifically include off-roading every weekend etc.... rubi. It's just in a different class, stock for stock. Far greater aftermarket opportunities. Looking back over the times I spent thousands of dollars on the X(a 2015 mind you)to get it how I want it, I sometimes wish I would have Just gone the rubi way.

Anyhow just my opinion. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts