Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking about installing a trailer hitch on my 2010 Xterra. I've read a bunch that older Xterra's needed frame stiffeners. Does anyone know if the newer models still need frame stiffeners? I thought I saw somewhere that the 05+ models didn't need frame stiffeners.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
My '08 didn't need them. I'm pretty sure none of the 05+ needs them. The hitch I bought came from the dealer, and it didn't have any stiffeners in the box. I don't think I've read anywhere that a second gen Xterra needed them for a hitch. The second gen frame is fully boxed, so it's pretty damn stiff already.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
What do you intend to trailer? A couple elephants? If you work for the circus and will be pulling large African mammals around, then yes, frame stiffeners will help. You should also look into getting a supercharged 350 installed if that's the case.

But if you just wanna take a couple bikes to the track or something like that, you'll be fine with a stock Xterra.

:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't plan on towing anything crazy but I have seen in other threads that people had a hitch installed with out the frame stiffeners and they had a sligt fender bender with a honda civic and it bent the frame. Was just wondering if the 2nd gen had the same issue. Sounds like since it's fully boxed that isn't a concern.

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
You do not need stiffeners on an 05+ X

I bought my hitch from http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2010_...s!to!maVI!aw!tp!c1!c2!c3!c4!c5!c6!c7!c8!c9&h= it had the highest tow rating 5000lbs (the same as the one from the dealer). Great price, shipped quick and great customer service. Many people on here have bought theirs from these guys.

Definitely get the Plug & Play harness from the dealer for the wiring. Here's one from one of the sponsors on here. http://www.fontananissanparts.com/p...535&callout=13&catalogid=3&displayCatalogid=0

Here is a good "How-to" on the install also.
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8854

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Hey, on the subject of frame stiffeners and hitches, I'm planning on towing a small Uhaul full of college stuff from VA to CO at the end of the summer, will I need frame stiffeners?
To clarify I would get a hitch for this, I don't have one from the factory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't imagine that trailer from Uahul will even come close to 3000 pounds but for me the biggest fear was the weakness of the existing frame. For the 1st gen that seems to be an issue but won't prevent you from towing. From everything I read just could be an issue of bottoming out and if someone rear ends you.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That's going to be a long wait for that model. Wonder how much a gallon of gas will cost then. :aufkopfhauen-big:
It'll cost about $750.00/gal, but supposedly the 2101 X will get about 150 mpg and put out over 400 bph, so it'll be totally worth it.

:D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Everybody is on the same page with this one. The Gen2 Xterra can pull 5000lbs. The fully box framed is strongest made for a stock truck besides moving up to some not all 2500 series pickups. They use the same frame configuration on Titans and Armada it is a shorter version in the Xterras, Frontiers and Pathfinders. I can't imagine a frame being bent from a fender bender with a Honda Civic. I was driving a 2007 Xterra SE as a demo with a trailer hitch and a Buick Lesabre crashed into the back. All we had to do is get a new bumber cover. No damage to the frame or bumper under the cover. I was impressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everybody is on the same page with this one. The Gen2 Xterra can pull 5000lbs. The fully box framed is strongest made for a stock truck besides moving up to some not all 2500 series pickups. They use the same frame configuration on Titans and Armada it is a shorter version in the Xterras, Frontiers and Pathfinders. I can't imagine a frame being bent from a fender bender with a Honda Civic. I was driving a 2007 Xterra SE as a demo with a trailer hitch and a Buick Lesabre crashed into the back. All we had to do is get a new bumber cover. No damage to the frame or bumper under the cover. I was impressed.

I realized that after I posted this. I'm new to the Xterra and just picked up my first one recently and tried to do my due diligence before posting but just wanted confirmation about the 2nd gen versus the 1st gen. I'd seen several posts saying that the 1st gen didn't have a boxed frame so when there were rear ended it did bend the frame. Great information on this forum. It was a huge help.

FYI I got my hitch installed no problem and loving my new Xterra so far. Cheers everyone for the feedback.

·
I'm kinda wacko
5,315 Posts
Excellent.

Have fun with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You do not need stiffeners on an 05+ X

I bought my hitch from 2010 Nissan Xterra Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com it had the highest tow rating 5000lbs (the same as the one from the dealer). Great price, shipped quick and great customer service. Many people on here have bought theirs from these guys.

Definitely get the Plug & Play harness from the dealer for the wiring. Here's one from one of the sponsors on here. Nissan Parts

Here is a good "How-to" on the install also.
Gen2 - 2006 Curt Hitch Install + Factory Wiring Harness
Thank you so much for the 411 got every question I had in 1 shot. Knowledgeable ppl like you is why I love this forum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts