Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that the oxygen sensor for my 2010 xterra doesn't fit and after the mechanic did some investigating he said the 2011 sensor fits. It's over 100.00 more. Has anyone else had to replace it and have this problem?

·
Registered
40 Posts
What o2 sensor are you replacing? Also, where did you get the sensor? Some of the part numbers for 2010 and 2011 are the same, so it comes down to which sensor is being replaced. Though a $100 increase seems quite drastic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My check engine light was on and they said I needed a new one. He explained that the car was manufacturedoing in Aug so it was made with a 2011 part. Since then the battery died on my car and they had to jump me before I left. I thought maybe the kids working on it may have left something on and didn't think 2ce and drove home. Once I took the key put of the ignition a red car with a lock in it started to flash and the car locks are locking on their own. I have never had this happen before. I drove the car back to the school and taped a note on the door to have them check it over today. Hoping they just hooked something ba v k up wrong and it is nothing serious. I have always gone to the same mechanic, but this time brought it to the technical high school. So frustrating. ... any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well o2 sensors do have a limited life span. That span depends on a number of factors, but the average is around 75,000 miles or so. As for the sensor, buying oem just means you want to throw your money around. Best thing to do is find out who makes the part for nissan, bosch is very common, and then buy the part from another store that isn't going to jack the price up. As long as the sensor fits and is made by a reputable company, it is fine. There is ZERO need to use a nissan branded part.
Just yesterday I got a replacement blower fan resistor made by airtex/wells, a known company. The resistor fins are larger than the stock part, means a larger surface area for cooling he resistor. Yet it was cheaper than getting the nissan part, especially from the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could it be a possibility that the mechanic ordered the oxygen sensor for the wrong side (there are two for the downstream side, a right and left)?

I took a look on Rock Auto, because it's pretty easy to compare. Using Denso brand part numbers, I found:

Denso 2344297 for downstream left in 2010 and 2011
Denso 2344313 for downstream right in 2010 and 2011
Denso 2349038 for upstream left/right in 2010
Denso 2349036 for upstream left/right in 2011

The price difference for the A/F sensor (upstream) was about $34 from 2010 to 2011. ($57.xx to $90.xx).

It might be worth checking to see exactly which of the sensor(s) is being replaced. If he is upcharging you $64.00 on one $34.00 part, I'd say yes, that's wrong. If he were replacing both upstream sensors and charging you $100.00 more, that would seem more reasonable.

If you prefer to do it yourself, you can get an oxygen sensor socket for about $10 online.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts