Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
I am looking into purchasing a new 2009 Xterra SE. Inevitably, I would like to upgrade the factory audio system.

So, I went to Crutchfield.com and went through their 'Outfit My Car' thing (I selected the model without the Rockford Fosgate system, but factory installed), but to my surprise, when the recommended head units popped up, it said none of them would fit my car.

Next, I went back and changed the option where it asked if the car had the Rockford Fosgate system or not, and I selected 'WITH Factory installed Rockford Fosgate System'. The results now showed that I could fit an aftermarket Head unit in.

Now, I am quite puzzled as both these units are factory installed. Can any of you guys please clear this up for me?

Do I have to get the Rockford Fosgate system in order to put in an aftermarket head unit? Or can I just get the bottom of the line factory installed system and still be able to put an aftermarket head unit in?

Thanks!!
Wirercx

PS - I know the Fosgate system is free for a limited time for the 2009 SE, but I would just like to know what the deal is here for arguments sake AND in case I do not end up purchasing the car until much later.

·
Can't Stop The X!!!
513 Posts
you could prolly fit a full size nav/dvd screen headunit in there. go to your local circuit city/best buy they should be able to tell you everything they have that would fit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Get a double din unit, you can use factory brackets, parts are all the same as the 05+ xterras.

I replyed on XF.com with all the part numbers you will need.

All available at Best Buy. Atleast in my bay anyways.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Are you sure about the double din fitting in a 2009?
The climate controls have been rearranged and I don't see how you'd get enough room without some kind of aftermarket panel front...though I haven't tried taking mine apart either.

One upside to getting the RF system is that your X will come with the steering wheel controls which you should be able to adapt to the aftermarket one, plus the tech package is technically free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm... I still can't find out what size, for sure, the rockford fosgate is. DIN? Double DIN? Crutchfield says it is a Euro-DIN...:aufkopfhauen-big:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
take a pictrure real quick and ill be able to tell u

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
OH damn...that a/c unit and the radio are all in one....

i might have to buy like a new bezel if they even make em like that...and if they do they are EXPENSIVE>.sometimes more than a radio costs...

when and if u do get it...why dont u just keep that and change out ur speakers with better ones and just add a sub with it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For one, from what I have heard the rockford system sucks.

And second, I need to get a Nav system. And the one that you can get from nissan that they mount... is just as expensive as an in-dash nav and they mount it on top of ur dash and it is tacky lol.. So I figured I would just try to do the in-dash.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
LOl i know what u mean i spent 700 for my indash....

but if u do what i told u it wouldnt be a rockford system, just ur radio for playin music..
however u said u need navi..

if ur really talented...u would take that bezel and cut out the radio somehow and fit a double din LOL

thats if u think u can do it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm... yea, that might be what I have to do. So far I gather that the chassis behind the bezel can fit the double din, but the bezel is not cut for it.

And I really do not wanna f up a brand new car hahah... Is there any place where I can order custom bezels? or anything of that nature? Or just get the same kind of plastic so that if I mess up, I won't be messing up my original.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
best thing to do is email those guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just emailed them asking if they had anything as far as a bezel that would fit or anything to make it fit. I also asked if they could point me in any direction as far as a custom bezel goes.

I will post back when I hear from them. They say they reply within minutes sometimes... lol

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
thats cool

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
I really like the RF system though I can hear where some 3rd party speakers for the doors might make an improvement. While I'm not a noob to car stereo I've never been one to chase the latest and greatest. As long as my mid bass is solid I'm happy.
If you're used to having two 15" subs in the back then yeah the stock system will probably be anemic for you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts