Nissan XTerra Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
OBD LINK also offers Mode $06. Basically Bluedriver and OBDLINK MX+ offer the same features with the exception that OBDLINK also allows the use of aftermarket software and apps. I have noticed that the price of the OBDLINK MX+ recently went up to $139, so at the moment Bluedriver has a better pricepoint, though with markets and supply chain as they are that could change very soon.

Both are very good units, but keep in mind that neither of these units will read advanced codes such as ABS etc on a gen1. Both should be fully functional on a gen2.
after doing some research and asking a few questions to their tech group I found out I can also use this on my 2006 Duramax LBZ. I was thinking of buying a Tech2 for it but it will not read a Nissan...So I just pulled the trigger on the BlueDriver, I'll get it next week...

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,346 Posts
So far, I've used my BD on a 2011 Chevy sedan, 2001 and 2004 Xterras, 2004 Chevy SUV, 2008 Toyota Yaris, 2004 Dodge Intrepid, and 2004 Ford Crown Vic.

No extra software or hardware purchase after buying the dongle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bought this 2008 X 2 weeks ago, I know they are not the best for efficiency but 8-9 MPG is quite shocking. My 2003 gets 14 to 16....
The skinny, it's a 4.0, 4X4 with 202000+ on it. The engine, tranny and everything about it looks mint, not a drop of oil of any kind... Changed plugs, air filter, cleaned MAS, cleaned throttle body. Found out the fuel filter is in the tank, fine place to put a filter so have not gone there yet, another thread. What else can I look at to figure why the MPG sucks. I've researched and came up with timing. How do you check the timing, there is no plug wires to hook up the induction light, this is new to me.
I'd check air filter, timing, fuel filter, then plugs. My first X was a 2 wheel drive 2005 w/120k miles first year for 4.0 and was getting 24mpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I'd check air filter, timing, fuel filter, then plugs. My first X was a 2 wheel drive 2005 w/120k miles first year for 4.0 and was getting 24mpg
new air filter and plugs as I said in my first post, I believe the fuel filter is attached to the fuel pump assembly, These have coil packs that are directly mounted on top of the plugs with no spark plug wire so no way to gat an induction light on #1 cylinder which I did ask in my original post but did not get any response, yet... I really don't want to spend hundreds if not thousands chasing this down....

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
new air filter and plugs as I said in my first post, I believe the fuel filter is attached to the fuel pump assembly, These have coil packs that are directly mounted on top of the plugs with no spark plug wire so no way to gat an induction light on #1 cylinder which I did ask in my original post but did not get any response, yet... I really don't want to spend hundreds if not thousands chasing this down....
Your blue driver is going to tell you were your ignition timing is. Expect it to be 15 degrees before TDC.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
So if you changed plugs you had the upper intake off to get to all of those. Between that and cleaning the throttle body, I'm curious what the Bluedriver is going to tell you. Did you do any kind of throttle position sensor reset after you did the throttle body clean? Have to wonder if that is where your mpg went North. You "cleaned" the MAS also, so that's in the game too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought this 2008 X 2 weeks ago, I know they are not the best for efficiency but 8-9 MPG is quite shocking. My 2003 gets 14 to 16....
The skinny, it's a 4.0, 4X4 with 202000+ on it. The engine, tranny and everything about it looks mint, not a drop of oil of any kind... Changed plugs, air filter, cleaned MAS, cleaned throttle body. Found out the fuel filter is in the tank, fine place to put a filter so have not gone there yet, another thread. What else can I look at to figure why the MPG sucks. I've researched and came up with timing. How do you check the timing, there is no plug wires to hook up the induction light, this is new to me.
The crankshaft pulley has timing marks and somewhere on the front of the engine block you will see a marker.Find out your timing in the literature and check with a timing light or pull no 1 cylinder spark plug and check the old fashion way.hint,with compression cycle on the up look for a piston or feel with a metal rod(coat hanger) and then reference the timing marks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So, Mr. Mike. Did your new toy arrive?
the bastahds, it was supposed to be here tuesday then they said next week so I cancelled the order, ordered another from the same company yesterday and will be here tomorrow, I don't get these companies....
I have to put injectors back in my LBZ tomorrow but that should only take a couple hours...Then I'll play with the new toy.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
the bastahds, it was supposed to be here tuesday then they said next week so I cancelled the order, ordered another from the same company yesterday and will be here tomorrow, I don't get these companies....
I have to put injectors back in my LBZ tomorrow but that should only take a couple hours...Then I'll play with the new toy.
Darn the luck with whatever outfit that was. Doesn't sound like a Amazon order.

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, more letters coming soon
1,710 Posts
There are 2 fuel pressure 'Buffers" / pressure regulators 1 for each bank
these are dampeners, not regulators. The regulator is part of the fuel pump inside of the fuel tank. Any vehicle that doesn’t have a return type fuel system will have the regulator integrated to the pump.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts