Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the water pump yesterday in my 2008 Xterra. While I had it apart, I also changed the timing chain tensioner. After putting it all back together the truck starts but seems to be sluggish in almost runs like it has a load on the engine. Feels like the timing may be off. Is it possible I screwed up the timing by turning the crank to loosen up the chain to put the tension are back in?
If so how can I fix it?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible that the aftermarket flan clutch i got is bad and always staying engaged? That would cause similar symptoms wouldnt it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Remove the drive belt and run the car again. Most people with seized fan clutch complain about noise or poor fuel economy. Seen vibrations from broken blades too. If the concern is not present without the belt then you could suspect the accessories including the fan clutch

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it is definitely loud for sure. And sounds like the fan is engaged all the time period as far as gas mileage I don't know because I haven't driven it very far. I thought of the timing was off I didn't want to drive it very far. I did try the old school way of checking the clutch by taking a rolled up newspaper and putting it to the fan with the engine running cold to see if it would slow down the fan and it did not. It shredded the newspaper and didnt slow the fan down at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I can take the serpentin belt off and run it for a short period of time in it's not going to hurt anything? I like that idea....

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
418 Posts
So I can take the serpentin belt off and run it for a short period of time in it's not going to hurt anything? I like that idea....
With the water pump being driven by the chain itself then the only thing not working when the belt is off is the accessories. So you can run the engine without fear of overheating

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
With the water pump being driven by the chain itself then the only thing not working when the belt is off is the accessories. So you can run the engine without fear of overheating
it will drain the battery pretty quick but otherwise yes this is true

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I decided to go out and buy in OEM fan clutch and installed it today and guess what… that was the issue. Thank goodness no timing problem. Truck runs good as new

1 - 10 of 10 Posts