Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend has a 2007 Nissan Xterra that will not crank or start until the negative battery cable is disconnected for a few minutes then re connected then starts and runs fine and this does not happen all the time. Replaced the ECM and had a new key made. It does have the white fuse relay block could that be the problem? It acts just like a car with an unchipped key.

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
1,849 Posts
2007 should crank but not start if there’s an immobilizer issue. Need to check for codes when it’s happening and check if the fans come on with the key. That’s an indicator that the control modules on the network aren’t communicating. Still probably a good idea to make sure all of the battery and ground cables and connections are good and tight

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will also die while driving and you have to disconnect the negative battery cable then re-hook and then it will start, otherwise it acts exactly like a car with chipped keys and you insert a non chipped key.

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
181 Posts
Just speculating but did you have the battery checked? If it has internal damage the voltage might be fluctuating and confusing the ECM.
Most cheap car batteries only last between 3 and 5 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The battery was replaced first, yes the alternator is good and I just replaced the ECM after I found out it doesn't have chipped keys. But she said it does the same thing. I also had to replace the engine after the timing chain went out and destroyed the engine. But the problem was there before and still there after. I know I will never buy a Nissan after working on this car. She wants to make sure its running ok before she tries to sell it. And I just found out she did not make a new key.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I’m pretty sure that all 2007 xterras are equipped with NATS. Most nissan ECMs will need the keys programmed after replacement. I can think of a few exceptions. If a used computer is installed then 100% keys will need to be programmed. The no crank thing with an immobilizer fault(called VBC by Nissan) didn’t start until 2009 I believe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did install a used ECM that was programed to the cars serial number. When I first installed it the car cranked but wouldn't start I disconnected the battery cable and then it started and seemed ok but they said it acted just like it did before after that. They were told it did not have chipped keys by someone so they did not have a new key made.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
This car probably has to go to the dealer. Used ECMs are almost always a problem(if you don’t know what you’re working with) because most often they’re the wrong part and many places that are “programming” them actually do nothing to them. Typically, after ECM replacement, we’ll have to do keys, register vin, and perform IAVL. Newer modules come to us blank and need to be programmed as well and some now require MAC key registration. If you haven’t considered it yet, I may suggest taking this vehicle to the dealer so a pro can tell you what’s happening.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,151 Posts
This car probably has to go to the dealer. Used ECMs are almost always a problem(if you don’t know what you’re working with) because most often they’re the wrong part and many places that are “programming” them actually do nothing to them. Typically, after ECM replacement, we’ll have to do keys, register vin, and perform IAVL. Newer modules come to us blank and need to be programmed as well and some now require MAC key registration. If you haven’t considered it yet, I may suggest taking this vehicle to the dealer so a pro can tell you what’s happening.
The voice of experience!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I told her to take it to locksmith or dealer to have the key programed but she was told hey key did not have a chip. The ECM I had her order was supposed to be programed to her car she had to give them the year model and serial number. There is no difference which ECM I put in they both have to have the negative lead removed before it will start. Someone said the white relay fuse block could be the problem. I am having her send back the new ECM. I had her have it towed to a dealer when it wouldn't crank or start because I thought it had a chipped key that was not programed they reprogrammed it but I guess since then it would crank but not start.

·
Premium Member
2006 Nissan Xterra, 3" lift, full armor
509 Posts
Question about when it dies. When it stops operating, is there power to the dash and everything before you hop out and disconnect the battery leads?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts