Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took it to the local Nissan dealership on 1/22 due to check engine light and would not pass emissions. The dealership replaced the exhaust gasket for a cost of $410.00. Cleared the check engine light and it has failed retest twice. The test results at 2 different stations were failed due to (readiness) I have driven at around 100 miles on first test and another 100 miles on 2nd test. I only have 3 days left before the temp registration expires. What else can i do?

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
650 Posts
Readiness tests can be tricky to run, especially this time of year. The sequences required don’t necessarily need to see a certain distance, but need to see a few key things happen. Usually involves two or more “cold soaks” where the vehicle need sit for 4+ hours then be driven to completely warm. The catalyst test can be run without even driving the car in most cases. Some tests, such as evaporative monitor, will not run under 35 degrees or so. I may be able to give you better advice knowing which test or tests are not ready. There are several.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have attached a copy of the most recent test results. Hopefully this will provide the information because I honestly don't know except the station said keep driving until the computer resets.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
This one doesn’t list system by system. If there’s another page, they may list it. Usually it will say different tests such as MISFIRE, HO2S, CATALYST, EGR, EVAP, and so on. For tests such as EGR, it will usually say NOT SUPPORTED because your vehicle isn’t equipped with that. Usually you’ll have 1-2 that say NOT READY and those are the tests you’d need to focus on. Any time you “clear codes” or disconnect the battery, all of these tests will change to NOT READY. You should be able to check readiness status at autozone using their scan tool but be sure not to clear codes from any system. Without knowing what system has not performed it’s test, it’s hard to give solid advice. Also varies state to state. Many cold weather states will allow a pass with 1-2 systems not having been tested depending on the age of the vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok also 6 months prior to the emissions test, check eng light came on and it was verified by auto-zone that the bank 1 sensor was bad and I had the oxygen sensor replaced. The check eng light came back on with same code and the same o2 sensor was replaced again under warranty. I just noticed on my paperwork from Nissan about this, attached their paperwork and this makes me wonder if there is still a problem with the o2 sensor iCloud

·
Registered
650 Posts
Probably not related. When the readiness test for a specific system runs, it checks performance of every side of that system. A readiness test being complete does not always indicate there’s no problems, in fact all check engine light code related problems are discovered during the readiness tests. When all readiness tests are complete and no issues are found, then you’re ready for smog test. O2 sensor tests usually run pretty fast after starting the vehicle, but some long term performance checks may take longer to set a code if the results are inconclusive. I’d try autozone to see if they’ll check your OBD readiness test status. Only when you know which ones are not complete could anyone give you advice other than just put miles on it. Some readiness tests, such as misfire, reset every time you start the vehicle so if the ignition is in the off position when status is read, you may see more tests as NOT READY but still not a concern

·
Registered
39 Posts
Get an OBD2 Scanner and monitor it while you drive to see which monitors have completed. Sometimes you have to drive for about an hour on the freeway to get all of the monitors to complete.
When you do the test make sure to drive on the freeway at about 55-60MPH consistently throughout the drive and 35-40MPH on the streets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke with the service manager at Nissan today and he told me basically the same to drive it on the hwy with cruise control at consistent speed for 30-45 mins and that usually will fix it. He said that it has worked for them. I will update on the results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts