Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I almost pulled the trigger on a diesel jeep liberty, but decided to get and xterra instead. The deciding factors for me personally were the cost of diesel engine parts, the available of those parts, and the liberty being a unibody.

So I picked up a 06 xterra, the door jam stick says the model is TCKZLRN-EUA with trim X. I'm a little confused as to why it would be an S package, but with an X trim label. I bought it in an auction, don't have any info other than the engine runs, sounds fine, shifts into fwd and reverse, and the transmission leaks really bad at the bell housing. 153k miles, no dents or rust, a couple of scratches. Interior is DIRTY, chew and dried spit everywhere, really nasty, but I'll clean that up. aside from that, no cracks or rips. The xfer case shifts from 2wd-4wdhi-4wdlo successfully.

I'm new to nissans, i have a few dodges/jeeps, and understand those quirks and problem areas.

I just did a transmission swap a couple weeks ago on my ram. I'm planning to drop the xterra transmission as I'm guessing the torque converter seal is bad. should I be aware of anything else with this regarding the transmission? I also plan to drop the pan, inspect, replace the filter, and flush the coolant lines.

I have heard of issues with the radiator leaking engine coolant into the transmission side. I don't see any evidence of this right now, but i do see some external corrosion on the radiator around the ports. I am thinking about replacing the radiator. Is there one where they engineeried it to not leak/mix engine and transmission coolants?

After I get this running properly, I will lift it and swap wheels with decent tread when I take it on mountain trails.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,367 Posts
I haven't any info for you, but congratulations on the find!

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,324 Posts
Is there one where they engineeried it to not leak/mix engine and transmission coolants?
they’re all engineered not to do that. There was a manufacturing defect on the early ones. Id look to see if you have an OE radiator or if it’s already been replaced. Timing chain guides are a very common problem on these as well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked and it is the original nissan radiator. It has the EA 215 in the model number so it appears I have a bad one. Car has 153k on it. I hope it's ok. I'll be dropping the transmission later this week, dropping the pan to inspect.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Another thing people did a lot was to bypass the cooler in the radiator. Verify that the cooler is still in use before you worry about the contamination issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went ahead and ordered a koyo a2807. Its a sanity check thing. While the radiator is out, I will probably replace timing chains, guides, water pump, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Recommendations on chain kit with a pump? Large variations in prices, Mizumo kit is are 115 and the go up to 440 for other stuff.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would only use OE timing chain parts but I’m a spoiled dealer mechanic.
I’ve replaced a lot of these and if yours doesn’t make any noise then I wouldn’t take it apart just because the radiator is out. In fact, I don’t even usually remove the radiator when servicing the timing chains.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, thanks for the advice. I lookup up on youtube what it takes to install a timing chain kit with water pump. I'm probably going to leave that to next year. I have a transmission leak to address and really just get the vehicle operational first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I almost pulled the trigger on a diesel jeep liberty, but decided to get and xterra instead. The deciding factors for me personally were the cost of diesel engine parts, the available of those parts, and the liberty being a unibody.

So I picked up a 06 xterra, the door jam stick says the model is TCKZLRN-EUA with trim X. I'm a little confused as to why it would be an S package, but with an X trim label. I bought it in an auction, don't have any info other than the engine runs, sounds fine, shifts into fwd and reverse, and the transmission leaks really bad at the bell housing. 153k miles, no dents or rust, a couple of scratches. Interior is DIRTY, chew and dried spit everywhere, really nasty, but I'll clean that up. aside from that, no cracks or rips. The xfer case shifts from 2wd-4wdhi-4wdlo successfully.

I'm new to nissans, i have a few dodges/jeeps, and understand those quirks and problem areas.

I just did a transmission swap a couple weeks ago on my ram. I'm planning to drop the xterra transmission as I'm guessing the torque converter seal is bad. should I be aware of anything else with this regarding the transmission? I also plan to drop the pan, inspect, replace the filter, and flush the coolant lines.

I have heard of issues with the radiator leaking engine coolant into the transmission side. I don't see any evidence of this right now, but i do see some external corrosion on the radiator around the ports. I am thinking about replacing the radiator. Is there one where they engineeried it to not leak/mix engine and transmission coolants?

After I get this running properly, I will lift it and swap wheels with decent tread when I take it on mountain trails.
Good ... I've had the liberty and now I have a xterra, only problem is the battery drains ... but the liberty SUCKS

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Can one change the timing guides and tensioners without taking the front cover off? I hear those are the biggest cause of timing jumps leading to bent valves

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So I did some digging on the front of the transmission leaking like a sieve, and I guess clogged filters can cause this, which makes sense.

How I'm understanding this would happen is that when the filter is clogged, the transmission pump will pump out fluid from the selected gear area and dump it into the pan. As the transmission shifts, the fluid for the next gear area will also dump that fluid into the pan. Since the transmission cannot pull returned fluid that is in the pan back through the transmission because the filter is clogged, it will overflow the pan, thus, fluid gushing out of the overflow line located in the bell housing. My guess is that parts of this transmission will be crispy.

I have the truck on ramps, will drop the pan today. I'll post pics. I'll admit, seeing the color and smell of the fluid, I'm a little scared. I'm already preparing to swap it at some point, but will see if this one is salvageable for a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dropped the pan, it didn't look that bad. There was thick muck at the bottom of the pan, but no SMOD evidence, pink coloring, or rust areas. The screen was partially gunky. I dropped the cooler lines and filled the transmission with fresh atf after replacing the filter and gasket. It still leaks.

I am now in the process of dropping the transmission. These bolts holding the transmission to the motor are really on there. I'm having issues breaking them loose. I'm applying pb blast, and will do that throughout the week and hopefully i'll be able to make progress this weekend.

While I was under the car, I noticed a few cracks in the bellhousing. I've never seen that.

1. What might have caused this
2. Is it dangerous to drive with these cracks
3. Is this repairable

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yes, you can change the tentioners without removing the front cover
This is not true. I’ve replaced easily 50 of these on 4.0L engines and the cover must be removed for anything but the water pump

it will overflow the pan, thus, fluid gushing out of the overflow line located in the bell housing
This is also untrue. The only way out for fluid or gas is the breather located on top of the case. There is nothing in the bellhousing that should ever leak

While I was under the car, I noticed a few cracks in the bellhousing
this is probably just casting marks. If they are cracks, the transmission will need to be replaced[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I’ve done a crap load of the gen1 3.3l engines, but haven’t been back behind the front cover of a 4.0 and I was just eyeballing it and wondering…. How the hell you gonna get the tensioner out of this without taking this front cover off???? However this thread is about trans so I’ll not hijack it further, let us tend to the OPs questions moving forward :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts