Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started annoying me at about 70k, i have the 6sp manual, 2wd.

I am about to do my chain, sometime this week. I am a mechanic for BMW/Mini cooper, with about 3 years in a shop. Have basically no engine knowledge of the VQ-40 other than its a beeast.

I found links to the OEM factory manual which i will familiarize myself with before I start.

Im using the nissan parts "kit" for it from my local dealer. Just looking for some common tips/good things to know before hand if
anyone has their 2cents to toss in.
I watched a couple youtube videos and what not.
Im planning on doing all the rails, guides, chain, tensioner, going to do my belt and plugs while I'm in there. I will be doing it on a lift.

Any other recommended parts to replace while I'm in it?

I was looking on here and newx.org for any good detail write ups, and almost all the ones i have found have bad links for the pictures, so they are quite a bit less helpful.

Any input appreciated!
cheers,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oil in spark plug tube!

So on the left rear plug i found a small amount of oil on the bottom of the coil and some oil sitting on the plug, looking at the seal in the valve cover it looks like there is oil on top of it, so I am assuming the oil came from the valve cover, not from the spark tube/head seal.

The fix appears to be a new valve cover seeing as the oring in the cover does not appear to be serviceable. Is that correct ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Valve covers are quite common for leaking tube seals on the VQs. Timing marks on the secondary chains are easy; match dots to the chain links on one of the banks, and the dashes for the other bank.

Get a caulk gun an dbuy a tube of RTV silicon from Nissan, it's the best and easiest stuff to use.

When you remove the two front bolts from the oil pan/timing cover, you may need a jack under the engine to get the pass. side bolt to drop far enough. The mounts sag as the vehicle ages.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that's a big problem for Xterras but a easy fix.
Thanks for the confirmation!

When you remove the two front bolts from the oil pan/timing cover, you may need a jack under the engine to get the pass. side bolt to drop far enough. The mounts sag as the vehicle ages.
Yeah i have it all the way backed out and its sitting against the steering rack, so i'll monitor that bolt when I'm pulling the front cover.

On that note, i have been working on this timing cover for about 2+ hours. its relentless. I have been tapping it with a rubber dead blow, enthusiastically. Been working the pry tabs, i even took a .3mm feeler blade and rand it around the top to try and break free the RTV, i sprayed some penetrate on the seam, and let it sit over night and I'm only getting about 5mm of separation at the top.
How do you get this darn thing to give up?! :crying:

·
Registered
169 Posts
How long do the timing chains on VQ40s normally last? Mine has 125,000 on it with no abnormal noises or anything else leading me to believe the chain needs replacin.g

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How long do the timing chains on VQ40s normally last? Mine has 125,000 on it with no abnormal noises or anything else leading me to believe the chain needs replacin.g
Well Scott, after doing mine I think I could have gone a lot longer.
Keep in mind I had a whining noise, which I can only assume was from the
plunger on the tensioner rubbing right onto the chain itself, i'll post up some pics and what not off the job when I get some time but this is one of my guides.

https://app.box.com/s/5vyv8kbnnwrhpbbh4coy2078bm5myial

Edit: The picture wont embed, i guess the file is probably to big.. oh well

That is what my drivers side bank, secondary chain tensioner, guide looked like. The chain to be honest showed almost no identifiable wear at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Heres a walkthrough if youre interested

Well Scott, after doing mine I think I could have gone a lot longer.
Keep in mind I had a whining noise, which I can only assume was from the
plunger on the tensioner rubbing right onto the chain itself, i'll post up some pics and what not off the job when I get some time but this is one of my guides.

https://app.box.com/s/5vyv8kbnnwrhpbbh4coy2078bm5myial

Edit: The picture wont embed, i guess the file is probably to big.. oh well

That is what my drivers side bank, secondary chain tensioner, guide looked like. The chain to be honest showed almost no identifiable wear at all.
Hey guys, here is a full walkthrough on my YT channel if you are interested. Its a heck of a job but you will see the problem at about 1 hour into the video. Let me know if you have any questions. I will help in any way I can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts