Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is the list of events.

My wife is driving to work and the X just dies. Sounds like a dead battery because it just clicks when you turn the key.

I get to her and pull her off the road.

I jump start it, it fires right up.

I take the battery out and take it to Autozone and they tell me the battery is at 100% charge.

I go put the same battery back in. Just clicks.

I jump start it. It cranks, but no fire. I reset the cables and it fires right away.

I go to drive home, I get to a stop light and I cannot move. The engine revs like it's in neutral. I have no forward or reverse drive.

I have it towed to a shop.

After the shop closes, I realized I forgot stuff inside I need. I take the key and on a whim, I try and start it. It starts, so I drive it around the parking lot. Works great. I leave it there for them to inspect.

The next morning they call and say it won't move. As soon as they put it in gear, it stalls. WTF! They say bad trans, get it out of here.

As of right now, it's dead again (clicks, no crank) in my driveway.

Sorry it's so long, but there's a lot of information.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
Ok, this is the list of events.

My wife is driving to work and the X just dies. Sounds like a dead battery because it just clicks when you turn the key.

I get to her and pull her off the road.

I jump start it, it fires right up.

I take the battery out and take it to Autozone and they tell me the battery is at 100% charge.

I go put the same battery back in. Just clicks.

I jump start it. It cranks, but no fire. I reset the cables and it fires right away.

I go to drive home, I get to a stop light and I cannot move. The engine revs like it's in neutral. I have no forward or reverse drive.

I have it towed to a shop.

After the shop closes, I realized I forgot stuff inside I need. I take the key and on a whim, I try and start it. It starts, so I drive it around the parking lot. Works great. I leave it there for them to inspect.

The next morning they call and say it won't move. As soon as they put it in gear, it stalls. WTF! They say bad trans, get it out of here.

As of right now, it's dead again (clicks, no crank) in my driveway.

Sorry it's so long, but there's a lot of information.
The battery connections both at the battery and the remote connections as they leave the battery have to be in question and due for inspection. Curious, when you jump started it did you make the ground connection directly at the battery or at a remote engine ground location? The small gauge ground wire connections on the topside of the engine need a close look here to be sure you don't have a high resistance computer ground connection in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The battery connections both at the battery and the remote connections as they leave the battery have to be in question and due for inspection. Curious, when you jump started it did you make the ground connection directly at the battery or at a remote engine ground location? The small gauge ground wire connections on the topside of the engine need a close look here to be sure you don't have a high resistance computer ground connection in place.
They were made at the battery

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
Could easily be a SMOD issue here
Blackdog, if you are not up on the SMOD acronym, you can go the top of the main page here and type in Strawberry Milkshake in the search line and you will get lots of posts listed relative to this issue.
Briefly it describes a failure in the radiator that has the transmission fluid cooling tubes that run internal to the main radiator to inadequately cool the transmission fluid failing and mixing coolant with your radiator fluid. Disaster for the transmission. Strawberry Milkshake describes the look of the transformed transmission fluid. Best check yours per the valued advice of Blackberry!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trans fluid and coolant are clear...
Blackdog, if you are not up on the SMOD acronym, you can go the top of the main page here and type in Strawberry Milkshake in the search line and you will get lots of posts listed relative to this issue.
Briefly it describes a failure in the radiator that has the transmission fluid cooling tubes that run internal to the main radiator to inadequately cool the transmission fluid failing and mixing coolant with your radiator fluid. Disaster for the transmission. Strawberry Milkshake describes the look of the transformed transmission fluid. Best check yours per the valued advice of Blackberry!
Both the trans fluid and coolant are clear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trans fluid and coolant are clear...
Both the trans fluid and coolant are clear.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
Good news to hear that your fluids are clear! The small wire gauge ground connections that I am referring to are located at the forward front edge of the motor on the drivers side. If you stand in front of the radiator and look straight in towards the engine oil filler cap you will see the wires I am referring to bolted to the top edge of the engine casting metal between the oil fill cap and yourself. There should be two bolts holding metal ring connectors that ground the light gauge wires to the engine block. Those connections should be clean and tight, and of course the wires themselves need to be unscared and in good condition. They are likely in good condition but it is good to not assume such things considering the computer based control systems in these modern vehicles. I chased a intermittent ground issue in an engine compartment one time that was caused by a light gauge ground wire that was broken internal to the insulation by the flexing of the wire when the engine twisted under torque. No fun there!

·
Registered
2009 4WD A/T w/X trim
25 Posts
This all sounded like possible battery connection, starter cable connection, ground, etc etc until we get to the part where the engine revs up but the vehicle won't move when placed in Drive.

I am not a tranny expert, especially on Xterras, but there are only a few things that would cause that to occur.

Tranny fluid is low.
Your solenoid on the tranny is bad.
Your tranny filter is completely clogged. (This may show as overheating on your dash, or you may feel heat on the floorboard when vehicle is warmed up good.)
Your clutch set inside your tranny (yes, an automatic has a clutch kit) is worn out and needs replacing. Average cost is 1200-1400.
You have a computer problem.

The first three are the most likely. The last item is pretty UNlikely.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,812 Posts
This all sounded like possible battery connection, starter cable connection, ground, etc etc until we get to the part where the engine revs up but the vehicle won't move when placed in Drive.

I am not a tranny expert, especially on Xterras, but there are only a few things that would cause that to occur.

Tranny fluid is low.
Your solenoid on the tranny is bad.
Your tranny filter is completely clogged. (This may show as overheating on your dash, or you may feel heat on the floorboard when vehicle is warmed up good.)
Your clutch set inside your tranny (yes, an automatic has a clutch kit) is worn out and needs replacing. Average cost is 1200-1400.
You have a computer problem.

The first three are the most likely. The last item is pretty UNlikely.
To make it more interesting....you missed the part where he says one minute it won't move after starting and a bit later he is driving it around the parking lot just fine. Next minute it doesn't even start let alone go in to gear and move. Physical damage/problems internal to the transmission don't come and go as a rule. Lot's of computer control intervention on these xterras.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,346 Posts
To make it more interesting....you missed the part where he says one minute it won't move after starting and a bit later he is driving it around the parking lot just fine. Next minute it doesn't even start let alone go in to gear and move. Physical damage/problems internal to the transmission don't come and go as a rule. Lot's of computer control intervention on these xterras.
I refer to things like that as nannies.

They're almost as annoying as Microsoft constantly asking if you really want to delete a file, then asking again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts