Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having some problems trying to figure out why my coolant isn't circulating. I put in new radiator February of 2015, tranny rebuilt November 2015 and now having problems with cooling system. I'm from Myrtle Beach and work in Boone, NC so after not having my car for 2 months I was ready to take it to the mountains. Before leaving the beach I topped off the rad but not paying attention I ended up putting the overflow cap on the rad and the rad cap on the overflow tank. I made it maybe 40 miles and noticed the engine was over heating. Pulled over to find out that the seal was bad on the radiator cap (which I had on the overflow tank. Got both new caps topped off again and drove 3.5 hours and coolant started coming outta the overflow tank again (along with air bubble sound coming from heater core) Now I had just got into the mountains so I'm sure the engine was working harder like it was pulling a load. Got to where I was going after a couple stops and waited till the next day to try and figure out what could be wrong.

1. Found out the caps were backwards so I switched them around and nothing changed.
2. Bought a new thermostat(aftermarket) and nothing changed. I did read about going with a OEM thermostat and found a Beck/Arnley thermostat that is identical that I'm gonna buy after talking to the dealership.
3. Have a new water pump that I will be installing tomorrow.

Problems Found-
Upper rad hose really hot and hose into heater core very hot
Outlet hosé coming out of heater core cold and lower rad hose cold.

No signs that it could be head gasket and oil looked fine.

QUESTIONS:
Has anybody ever had similar problems?

Is the Beck/Arnley thermostat better than the aftermarket thermostat that is on there now since it is identical to the OEM thermostat?

What are reasons of why there is no pressure on the hoses?

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
There is a small hole in the thermostat it must be at 12 oclock second you have not bled the air out of the system .

·
Registered
621 Posts
^ Gonna have to agree you must bleed the air out. i had the same problem with mine for quite a while couldnt figure it out until i found out i needed the bleed it from the screw on the motor. I was used to letting it run with the cap off. The moment i unscrewed it it sucked a bunch of coolant in and i had to add quite a bit more. Now mine is a first gen with a different motor So im not sure how yours is supposed to be bled. But none the less there is a way and it needs to be done.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If there is no pressure on the hoses it could very likely be the water pump. Was it ever changed? after 100 k miles it should be changed. You should try everyone elses suggestions first since they are free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts