Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crank but no start. Happened after brief stop at work. Will not link to a diagnostics box. If I pull the main computer out, EGI fuse no longer blows. I sent the computer, key, and BCM to a rebuild place. They could not find a problem. They check out OK. I look online and ALL diagrams of the IPDM show this fuse as #53 . If I look in a Hanes manual at the wiring diagrams, they all show fuse #53 (20 amp) going to the Cpu internal to the IPDM. I thought the EGI is supposed to be Electronic Gas Injection?? Anyway, I am an electronics tech by trade and can read a schematic. What I am seeing makes no sense. Finally purchased a used IPDM and installed it. Fuse #53 still blows. With over 210,000 miles, this thing will go to the boneyard before it goes to a dealer. Last chance for it is likely here. Any Ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am not an expert on foreign vehicles but i have been trained for 25 years by a fully certified G.M mechanic. I had the same issue with my family car , a 2005 nissan xterra, I am also a high voltage tech for a company in new England, the EGI fuse at 20 amps blew on the highway with my whole family in the car. I had to merge through traffic coasting with no power brakes. It took a couple hours to figure that fuse was blowing, then i tried finding wiring diagrams for this vehicle without much luck. So i did find information on the egi fuse, as a fuel injection related fuse. I looked all over to try & find a sensor or silanoid that could be at fault with out much luck. I knew it was a short some were in the wires or in a connection potentially. So this is bad practice but it was going to take to long to find, plus our xterra is high miles, not worth too much any more. I was not sure if it was a computer issue either. But with little to lose i put a 30 amp fuse in the egi instead of the maximum 20 amp . it made the short easy to find, the wires on the passenger side frame rail heading back to the fuel pump started to smoke. So i disconected the battery quickly ! the short was in these wires, i can't tell exactly which wire was the start of the short, must be more than thirty wires in this loom. They had been melting in that spot . I was able to splice new wires in fixing the issue. But I am fairly certain that it hurt the fuel sending unit on the fuel pump assembly that i changed a year ago. The fuel gage is not accurate but it runs with no check engine lights. Also like to note that the exhaust is too close here& nissan twisted thinly coated wires together over a five foot distance, twisting wires can cause the protection coatings to be forced away from the needed areas close to the other wires you twisted together. Making a short more likely at higher amps. This vehicle has been twisting around for a couple hundred thousand miles too, could have chafed through as well. Hope this helps, Some people anyway . just checking the wires here would have saved me hours .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts