Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 xterra xe rwd 3.3l V-6 started making a loud buzzing noise when I go over 40mph or above. If I drop down below that is stops but its been slipping in second for awhile and I also smelled a burning smell for a moment. My friend says it's the trani and I was just wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction of what it could be. Anyone else have this issue or know what it could be? Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Is there a rhythm to the sound?
Other possible sources are the universal joints or the center support bearing for the drive shaft. Those tend to produce a bit more of a rhytmic squeaking sound though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you located
Eatonville
Noise concerns could be 1000 things. Video may help but still not always. All I could do is offer to help if you’re in Denver
Washington but thanks
Is there a rhythm to the sound?
Other possible sources are the universal joints or the center support bearing for the drive shaft. Those tend to produce a bit more of a rhytmic squeaking sound though.
It was definantly a buzzing so much so that I thought a bee was coming out my vents at first lol

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
And it gets louder as I gain more speed but stops when I let off the gas.
that indicates drivetrain as the problem, i would have the tranny looked at

Reactions: Satito

·
Registered
491 Posts
We also see similar concerns with transfer and differential. Needs to be checked in the air probably. Let’s hope it’s not a transmission

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4
12 Posts
When was the last time the transmission was serviced? It may be far enough beyond the interval that the fluid has thinned out. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When was the last time the transmission was serviced? It may be far enough beyond the interval that the fluid has thinned out. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.
When was the last time the transmission was serviced? It may be far enough beyond the interval that the f
luid has thinned out. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.
I'm not sure I bought it used from a private owner and I've never had it done I've had it about a year. Will

·
Registered
887 Posts
Your first step should be to check the transmission fluid to make sure that it isn't low.
1) warm the car up
2) park it on a level surface (I like in front of a pump at the gas station)
3) with the engine running and the transmission in park pull the transmission dip stick and check it, wipe it, check it, wipe it check it again. I always check it three or four times to make sure I'm not getting a false reading.

The fluid should be within the range on the hot section of the stick. Also note the color of the fluid. It should be pink or red. If it hasn't been changed in a long time it will be brown or black.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely sounds like a drivetrain issue. Start with the trans fluid first. Then check the joints for any play. Yes you will need the thing on a lift to check.

As for the burning smell, that could also be your valve cover gaskets. Common symptom of them going bad, unless you already replaced them. Passenger side is easy, drivers side will add some color to your vocabulary lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check your heat shields under the chassis. Get underneath the rig and move the heat shields with your hands. Cold engine of course. If one of them makes the noise, there you go. Replace bolt assembly or simply remove the heat shield.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,136 Posts
Check your heat shields under the chassis. Get underneath the rig and move the heat shields with your hands. Cold engine of course. If one of them makes the noise, there you go. Replace bolt assembly or simply remove the heat shield.
This

·
Registered
887 Posts
If you do remove the heat shield just be aware if you are driving through or parking in tall dry grass. More than one wildfire has been started from a catalytic converter missing it's heat shield.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
also very common on 1st gens especially in road salt areas

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I'm not sure I bought it used from a private owner and I've never had it done I've had it about a year. Will
you get a chance to check the tranny fluid as satito mentioned? if so whats its fill level, coor, texture and smell like on the dipstick? if it is light to medium red almost clear, full and smells like a sweet oily smell it is likely not your issues, though may have been changed to cover up issues and sell the truck, seen this happen to too many people buying all different cars, saw it almost daily when i worked auto parts in college. check the differential, and transfer case fluids as well as mentioned also

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks my heat shield does have a burn mark that's visible from the outside. I'm going to check into this. My trani fluid is almost clear/ pink but lucus was put into it at the beginning of this I was told that you cant put lucus into a nissan is this true?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I personally would not put anything other than the genuine Nissan Matic-D or Dex/Merc that is recommended in the owners manual or Factory Service Manual unless I already knew that I was headed for a rebuild and was just trying to get a few extra miles out of it before hand.

I'm going to ask a few questions that might help us out.

1) How many miles are on your X?
2) How frequently has the transmission fluid been changed?
3) Did you have the fluid changed for the first time after 100k miles?
4) Have you had the fluid changed since it started slipping in 2nd?
5) Have you had a reputable transmission shop/mechanic take a look at it?

Also check all the plastic pieces on the body and underneath including the splash guards between the front wheels and the engine compartment to make sure that they are securely fastened. Also check the steel plate under the engine. It's possible that you have something that is simply vibrating at a specific speed and rpm.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Thats mainly for cvt vehicles none of the xterras are cvt but as satito sais better not to, i would only advise lucas if the problem costs more than worth fixing Nd you need to make it last as long as possible
Thanks my heat shield does have a burn mark that's visible from the outside. I'm going to check into this. My trani fluid is almost clear/ pink but lucus was put into it at the beginning of this I was told that you cant put lucus into a nissan is this true?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts