Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Nissan Xterra 3.3. I was filling my gas tank and i noticed a puddle of gas on the ground. I got home and checked under my car and found a little canister with two hoses coming from it and the canister was leaking. I sent a picture to a friend, and he said it was a vapor canister. So my question is why would I be getting fuel into my vapor canister? Should I just change it or does something else cause this issue?

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,017 Posts
That’s not a canister, that’s a water separator for your canister. Either way if it’s leaking fuel then your canister is full of gas. I’d probably have to look at work because this is uncommon but on most Nissans, the valve that prevents overfilling and saturation is inside the fuel tank

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,017 Posts
I would read page EC-1168 in the service manual. It’s probably your fuel tank but there’s a chance other things can cause this. You’re probably going to need a new canister too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, I went to merles automotive parts today and got the evap system diagram, it is called a vapor canister, and there is a check valve in between it and the tank. Diagram doesn't show weather it is on top or part of next to the tank, but I ordered both parts and will be putting them in on Wednesday, I let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've been chasing a P0455 large evap leak for 2 years now and it started with a lot of intense offroading at high altitude followed by a lot of fuel vapors coming from that separator. It is the vent line from the vapor canister, and is controlled by the vent solenoid attached to the canister. Sometimes the bag of charcoal in the canister busts and bits of charcoal get in the vent valve and jam it, or the spring piston in it jams up and it doesn't vent property, or the solenoid that draws the vapors into the intake under the hood might get stuck and not draw out the vapors when they get excessive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts