Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New user here trying to learn a little bit about my car. I recently purchased a 2004 Nissan Xterra SE S/C. I had the oil pan replaced at a local shop (a shop I will not use again, but only used due to the extensive discount I was receiving for a previous issue regarding the pan). Upon receiving the car back, they informed me that the dipstick was stuck and that it "must be rusted in there". I knew this was not the case as I had checked the oil the week before dropping the car off. After a little bit of research on this site and calling a local nissan dealer to confirm, I realized (within 20 minutes of receiving the car) that the "experts" must not have removed the dipstick while replacing the oil pan, bending the dipstick and making it impossible to remove. The shop eventually agreed to lower the pan and replaced the dipstick and dipstick tube. The wire dipsticks are a nightmare, but I wanted to check and make sure that the new dipstick is not broken (end appears sheared, seems shorter than the previous- measuring end is only ~1 inch long) and see if there is anything else I should check for now that I have the car back in my possession. I do not trust the work of the shop at all. I am in a new area and do not have a reliable mechanic yet to check the work. Picture of the dipstick end is attached. Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Hi all,

New user here trying to learn a little bit about my car. I recently purchased a 2004 Nissan Xterra SE S/C. I had the oil pan replaced at a local shop (a shop I will not use again, but only used due to the extensive discount I was receiving for a previous issue regarding the pan). Upon receiving the car back, they informed me that the dipstick was stuck and that it "must be rusted in there". I knew this was not the case as I had checked the oil the week before dropping the car off. After a little bit of research on this site and calling a local nissan dealer to confirm, I realized (within 20 minutes of receiving the car) that the "experts" must not have removed the dipstick while replacing the oil pan, bending the dipstick and making it impossible to remove. The shop eventually agreed to lower the pan and replaced the dipstick and dipstick tube. The wire dipsticks are a nightmare, but I wanted to check and make sure that the new dipstick is not broken (end appears sheared, seems shorter than the previous- measuring end is only ~1 inch long) and see if there is anything else I should check for now that I have the car back in my possession. I do not trust the work of the shop at all. I am in a new area and do not have a reliable mechanic yet to check the work. Picture of the dipstick end is attached. Sorry for the long post, but I appreciate any help.

Thanks
This is correct end on the stick make sure they only put 3 1/2 Qt not 5 Qt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts