Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced severe leaking valve cover gaskets and removed intake manifold to do so. The battery was disconnected. I did remove throttle position sensor to make the job easier. The throttle positioning sensor was not installed correctly so it wouldn't run right. Drove it 3 miles to parts store where engine light read throttle positioning sensor. I re-installed the throttle positioning sensor and put a digital meter on it to approximately .50 on DC volts. The check engine light is gone but when it's started the TPS has to be adjusted higher than .50 to hold idle and it stalls when put into gear no matter where the TPS is set. Did it jump time? Maybe a spark plug wire bad? Can the TPS be bad when it's giving correct voltage when engine is on? I fixed the severe gasket leak for free on this vehicle but I feel terrible since it won't run correctly for the owner after I messed something up. Please help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a picture of everything before I took it apart so I'm going to double check vacuum hoses as suggested. Thank-you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just triple checked all the hoses. They "seem" fine and I cannot detect any leak. Any other suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, Battery disconnect did not work. I have the Tps set at .50 from digital meter. When it starts it will idle for approx 10 seconds then dies with the sound of bad gas as if it does it's best to run but can't stay running. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm wondering if it jumped time or if the Tps isn't working correctly. Maybe bad plug wire(s) that have never been replaced that I had to remove to pull the intake manifold off? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
if it was a bad plug or wire you would get a code for that cyl.
There a sensor behind the driver side head that the wire pass behind the intake check if you damage it or it came unpluged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked it too, thanks for all your help. I just can't find the problem but I do agree that it's something simple. Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts