Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, My rear main seal started leaking. What is the typical cost to have it replaced? As always, thank you for your help and time.

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
464 Posts
I don’t have an estimate but mines leaking and for now I’m ignoring it. Gonna be expensive because the front diff is gonna be in the way. Have been running a bit of Lucas oil stop leak through and I’m gonna be done with that because it isn’t helping. If it’s just a drip and the level isn’t really dropping I wouldn’t stress too much! But yeah, not gonna be a cheap one

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
650 Posts
The rear main seal is not nearly as common as the oil pan lip seal. Many of these are falsely diagnosed as rear main seal because the two are within inches of each other and neither is visible with the transmission installed. I would recommend oil pan gasket replacement first, followed by a thorough cleaning. Oil pan replacement is not cheap, but it is considerably less invasive than a rear main seal, and more likely to correct your leak

·
Registered
464 Posts
The rear main seal is not nearly as common as the oil pan lip seal. Many of these are falsely diagnosed as rear main seal because the two are within inches of each other and neither is visible with the transmission installed. I would recommend oil pan gasket replacement first, followed by a thorough cleaning. Oil pan replacement is not cheap, but it is considerably less invasive than a rear main seal, and more likely to correct your leak
Thanks for that, I don’t have experience other than mine and what I’ve read and because I haven’t fixed my leak yet I’ve been assuming it was rear main seal. I did over fill the oil a bit once so from what I read I thought that was it. But good to know, maybe if I’m daring enough I’ll give a shot at replacing that oil pan gasket some time soon and see if you’re right!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cost will vary a little bit with drivetrain config I believe. It cost me $1500 to replace it at a dealership for my 2004 4x4 5 speed. Took them about 2 days to do. I was happy to finally get that leak taken care of, but now I've got a leak coming from my oil filter :mad:.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar leak. Maybe that is my problem as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had both the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket replaced. I'm the kind of guy that if I see a problem I want it fixed. So I took it to the shop. Between the cost of both, I have about $1,500 into it give or take. Neither one fixed my oil leak. If anyone has any other ideas on what or where it could be please let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check your valve cover gasket bolts. Mine were loose and leaked oil onto my starter which eventually took out the starter.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have had both the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket replaced. I'm the kind of guy that if I see a problem I want it fixed. So I took it to the shop. Between the cost of both, I have about $1,500 into it give or take. Neither one fixed my oil leak. If anyone has any other ideas on what or where it could be please let me know.
That sounds like a crappy time! I would also check the back of the upper engine as well as you can. The heads or the intake manifold gasket could be leaking, although not as common as the other things. The valve covers should have been step one when trying to find the oil leak because they are very common.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts