Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 2004 nissan xterra v6. Recently I had an issue where it would overheat then when I would drive again it would cool down. That was fixed by replacing the thrmostate and coolant temp sensor. As of today I had an overheating issue that would not go back down unless I was coasting.the coolant is full along with the expansion tank. No visible leaks from what I can see. I took a reading of the temp at idle via obd. The highest it got was 237 F on obd while the gauge was almost to the hot line on the dash. I am not sure where to go from here. Could the fan clutch be bad? Could it need a new rad or rad cap? Could the temp sensor be bad again? Thank you all for the help and hope I can get this fixed soon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did check the coolant hoses and the top one is really hot while the lower one is hit but not as hot as the upper

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,176 Posts
Sounds like coolant is flowing. I'd start with removing the t-stat and slowly boiling it, using a candy or meat thermometer. It should be fully open by its rated temp, which should be 170F or 180F. If not, it's bad. Get another and test it first.

I learned here on CX that there are 2 temp sensors on the Gen1. They are right next to each other on the outlet housing. One is for the OBD and the other for the dash gauge. Make sure of which one you replaced. I had erroneously shared that the dash and OBD share the output from a single sensor, but I was wrong. Here's the post from @RacerXXL with the correct information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts