Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have an 04 V6 with 4WD and manual transmission. The trans is driving me nuts because it's so uncooperative. I've driven plenty of stick shift vehicles before, ranging from my 89 Mustang, to VWs, to a diesel box truck with a dog leg. However, this thing drives me batty. It's the only vehicle I've ever driven that requires double clutching.

No joke, the only way to get through 1st and 2nd is to double clutch. I know 1st isn't synchronized (because Nissan was too cheap) but 2nd is supposed to be. However, it absolutely won't have it. The only way to get in is to release the clutch, blip the gas, then quick put the clutch in and get the shifter in at just the right time. The same goes for downshifting in ANY gear. If you don't double clutch, there's no way the shifter's going into gear. It doesn't grind, it just feels like there's a wall between you and the gear. No matter how hard you press, it won't move. Double clutch, and it slides right in. I don't get it.

One more thing, when it's cold, it's hard to get it OUT of first. If I put in the clutch, the RPMS stay up, and it keeps going. I have to really pull it to get it out, at which point the vehicle jerks. I have to then double clutch into 2nd. That goes away when it warms up.

Christ, I feel like I'm driving a freakin Peterbilt here. Took it to a general garage and they couldn't figure it out. Kinda ticked me off.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone run into this kinda thing before? Also, what is the make and model of this transmission? That way I know to steer clear of anything else that uses this dreadful gearbox. I assume it was farmed out to a transmission company, like how Ford used Borg-Warner for their transmissions?

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Jon

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have the same 5 speed transmission that you have in my xterra. I can certaintly vouch for you that these tranny's are very clunky. My tranny sometimes does give me a hard time getting out of 1st but it's only when i first start driving in the morning. It also only lasts for 2 shifts then goes away. I use to have some trouble downshifting into second gear but after i changed my clutch everything bad went away and the tranny shifts better than ever before. This happened to me at 120k miles. I'm sorry but i think you may have to get a clutch kit and change everything out. My pilot bushing was done for when i opened mine up. Heck my dad took it out with his pinkie finger. I am honestly not sure but everything shifted smoother when i changed my clutch. good luck.

·
Registered
382 Posts
my trans is super smooth, and clutch is super light. It has 200K on it... maybe your clutch (pressure plate) is on its way out.
by smooth i mean 1/2 way between my Daily Topkick Cat powered 6 speed work truck, and my Audi lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have the local transmission shop take it for a drive. That way I can at least get some first hand observation from someone who knows more than I do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Regarding the difficulty getting it out of first when it's cold... How old is gear oil in your transmission?

My X is an auto, so I can't speak to your application specifically, but I had the same issue with my Subaru when it was very cold out. Ended up changing the fluid to an aftermarket product (motul) and it made an enormous difference. . Maybe some of the guys here have a recommendation for fluids that work well in the Xterra?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts