Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought i a 2004 Xterra 3.3L SC about 3 months ago, previous owner had the fuel injectors cleaned professionally and had the timing belt and water pump changed. previous owner stated that he ran regular fuel rather than premium, which leads me to believe why he might have had the fuel injectors cleaned while he owned it.

Since i've had it, i have been running premium only. and the engine maintenance light came on recently, i pulled the codes and it said P0300 (Random/ Multiple Cylinder Misfire) and P0328 ( Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High).

my first question is could faulty fuel injectors or a glogged one throw off a misfire code?

im guessing since the misfire code is coming up its tripping the knock sensor also.

I plan on changing the Spark Plugs and Wires asap here, i read some recommend NGK Iridium IX plugs gapped at 0.044

my second question is what NGK wires and Plugs does everyone recommend?
and what should they be gapped to? i found similar answers to 0.044 but i want to make sure its the correct gapping spec.

i also plan on changing the rotor and cap also, anyone recommendations on brands since i want to go with NKG wires and plugs?

thanks for the advice and suggestions in advance!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Running regular fuel won't clog the injectors - it's more about pre-detonation/knocking.

The knock sensor code is probably independent - almost every first gen has a bad knock sensor by now. But might as well wait to see if the tuneup fixes it.

I have no idea why people say to run iridium... the manual calls for double platinum @ .043". Part # PFR6G-11 for the standards.

User manual here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2004_Xterra/

How-to on tune-up on the S/C:

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19228

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So most of the shops where i live dont have NGK double platinum tips, what would be the next best plug to put in my xterra? Single platinums or should i go with Iridiums?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever figure out what was throwing the codes? I have an 02 S/C also and have both codes show up after installing new plugs, wires, cap and fuel injectors. I've about given up and just leave it as is.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just to confirm...

plugs should be PFR5G-11 not PFR6G-11 as stated above? Amazon states PFR6G-11 WILL NOT fit 2004 X but PFR5G-11 will.

Can I assume this was a typing error?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts