Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have owned my 2003 Xterra since 2006 and loved every minute of it. She moved me from Maryland to Florida, Maryland to California and back to Maryland again. She still drives well but I have encountered a few problems that makes it difficult to keep her. Notably, 1) it was rear-ended by a drunk driver while it was parked, denting the trunk which totaled the car. 2) Maryland state inspection is intense and they are quoting 2500-ish to just to pass inspection so I can get it registered.
It still drives well and needs some love in a few places. Not sure if there are any super fans here that would love a passion project so wanted to share before we decide what to do with it. She was good to me and I’m sad to part with her. I’d love to hear what the community thinks and if anyone has ideas about people who would want to give this car a second life.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,792 Posts
Were I not fighting to keep my job at work (job cuts), I'd love to pick it up. I have a 2004, which I got after my 2001 suffered damage to the entire right side in a freak accident. I'd like to have a yellow one, or after that, a green one, or an orange one.

What is it that Maryland requires to be fixed to keep it registered? Is that rear hatch damaged so much that it's a safety hazard to them? I might be worth the money to you to fix it up and keep it. Hopefully you got a settlement from the drunk's insurance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were I not fighting to keep my job at work (job cuts), I'd love to pick it up. I have a 2004, which I got after my 2001 suffered damage to the entire right side in a freak accident. I'd like to have a yellow one, or after that, a green one, or an orange one.

What is it that Maryland requires to be fixed to keep it registered? Is that rear hatch damaged so much that it's a safety hazard to them? I might be worth the money to you to fix it up and keep it. Hopefully you got a settlement from the drunk's insurance.
I personally don’t think there are any safety issues with the trunk but the damage totaled my car and it would probably cost $3k+ to fix. I have to take the mechanic’s word for it and not sure how much of that was labor-related vs parts.

MD inspection failed a few things. Among them:
  • road test: alignment test drive
  • lighting: park
  • lighting: side marker
  • steering: linkage
  • engine mounts: left motor mount

I should mention the headliner needs to be replaced too. Most of the cost to fix it up is probably labor related so might be fun for someone who has the skills to fix it.

·
Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
247 Posts
Looks good in yellow. The repairs don't sound too bad. Too far from me, but I am sure it will make a good project for someone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good in yellow. The repairs don't sound too bad. Too far from me, but I am sure it will make a good project for someone.
Thanks! It makes me feel better that other Xterra lovers feel it could be a doable project for someone. I wish I was skilled enough to manage it myself.

·
Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
247 Posts
I will go down the list.

• road test: alignment test drive
Your going to need an alignment when you do item 5 anyway. The alignment cost could vary widely. IF you knew what your doing you can do it your self.
  • lighting: park
  • lighting: side marker
This sounds like you just need some new light bulbs, so like $30 for bulbs.

• steering: linkage
I have replaced some of the steering parts on my xterra not sure all that you would need but i would guess $200-$600 for parts. It is a lot of work and this is labor costing more then parts.
  • engine mounts: left motor mount
I have not done this. It does sound like a lot of work, The engine mount would not be too expensive but putting it in would be a lot of work. You need to lift the engine off the old mount so you need hoist or something that can lift an engine. There may be other parts you need to take off to lift the engine.

This is all just a guess with out really knowing what is going on and not having done some of these things myself. But overall it would be worth doing for someone who knows how and has the tools needed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
would love to get a second X, strip it all of its metals and fabricate my own roll cage, but, i don’t have the time or money for it. mainly money for the travel. but, @lalasala, have you considered that? converting it into your own toy? something to pull behind?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would love to get a second X, strip it all of its metals and fabricate my own roll cage, but, i don’t have the time or money for it. mainly money for the travel. but, @lalasala, have you considered that? converting it into your own toy? something to pull behind?
Yeah that would not be my particular set of skills :) I’d love to pass it on to someone who can!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts