Nissan XTerra Forum banner

2003 Xterra V6 SC Cranks but wont start.

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  MrMassive 
#1 ·
New here, found this forum while trying to figure out whats going on with my X. Like the title says, '03 V6 S/C 170k+ miles, bought it a few months back, I've been driving it almost daily since. Today I leave work, everything was fine, and about a mile from my house it starts to lose power like it wants to die, I use the throttle to keep it from dying but it didn't help much. It did die once but started right up but was stumbling, with my foot to the floor it got around 3k rpm but stumbled. after it died the second time I stopped at a light about a 1/4 mile away from home, and it wouldn't start again. I ended up just pushing it home haha. But now all it does is Crank, Dash lights come on and the gauges work fine, battery is fine as well. Theres fuel in the tank, and I can hear the pump whining. No Check Engine Light/Service light on. I haven't really had any problems other than on a trip to CO where I got really bad gas mileage and it would randomly just die on the highway going 70mph but as soon as I pulled over and cranked it would start right back up. Not sure if the two problems are related but that hasn't happened since that trip, I checked codes with a reader on the trip but had no faults. It just went away. If i could get any help it would be appreciated, Where should I start? Thanks in advance, seems like a cool community!

#2 ·
Hmmm...I'm having similar problems. I'm a bit new to the forum too. Surprised that this didn't get any responses. Did you find a solution to the problem. I have all the same basic symptoms. Cranks, but no start. Getting spark (verified by removing the spark plug from the engine, putting it in the spark plug wire, and watching it while while cranking the engine). I can hear the fuel pump prime up too. Pulled the fuel return hose and watched it pump fuel when the engine is cranking.

I checked the possibility of the security system disabling the system. Couldn't really find good info on whether or not that was accurate. Engine still turns, so it might not be that. All fuses are good. No engine codes, of course the engine doesn't start, so I'm not certain what lights are supposed to be on in the truck when the key is in in the ON position and just not starting. ;)

I just picked up an OBDII scanner to check for trouble, even though nothing registering in the dash.

#3 ·
I have had similar issues as well with my 01X. The last time it happened to me it seemed to be the battery. Although the battery was showing good voltage, the cold cranking amps were almost nil. Just food for thought. A new battery solved the issue for me (or it just hid the problem for a while) either way that was my experience I hope it helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.