Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, My 03 xterra (3.3 Non SC) with 220000 miles started hesitating/stumbling at cruising speed. it suddenly cleared up for a couple days and then started getting worse and starting shutting off at stop lights. I had codes read at AZ and they indicate a catalytic converter issue. Codes P0420 bank 1 and P0430 bank 2. After first posting this i looked closer at the print out from AZ and the very first code was a P1456 (Fuel tank temperature sensor circuit) and it says it could be a loose fuel cap. The vehicle is at the shop so i couldn't check it. Could a loose fuel cap cause these symptoms?

Mechanic says its the front Catalytic converters. I am also wondering if the oxygen sensors could be causing these symptoms vs the front converters that cost $2000 to replace. (~$700 for each front converter) Additionally I have had a knock sensor codes (P0327 and P0328) I have ignored for a couple of years. I found used converters at RockAuto for ~$350. If this is actually the issue Is it worth taking a chance with used converters?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did both of my own converters for around $600
Thanks for the reply Blackberry. I'd like to ask you a few questions. Did you replace the exhaust manifold catalytic converters? If so, did you buy them used and where did you find them? What was the hardest part of replacing them? Where your symptoms similar to mine and how were you sure they were the issue before replacing them?

Thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
Mine didn’t have any drivability symptoms, just the codes p0420/430. When I installed the engine I knew the cats were cRacked so this was no surprise. I needed no codes stored as part of the supercharger project so they needed replacement. My state does smog testing so deleting them wasn’t an option. The combined manifold and cats that are on your 03 are expensive so I installed dorman cast manifolds on both sides and cheap amazon converters behind them. This setup is for up to 02 model years but the rest of the exhaust is the same so it will bolt directly up. There was a small issue of the cast manifolds being thicker on a few studs so I replaced them with long bolts. This is not ideal but I’ll worry about it later. If I remember dorman manifolds were $50-60 each and the converters were $250 each. I did try buying some cheap manifold+cats from rock auto but they were garbage and I returned them immediately

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had both codes as well for ~2 years and have not had drivability or power loss problems. I did experience issues with rough running and shaking/jerking and that turned out to be a loose connector connection on the throttle position sensor and had zero codes for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts