Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2003 has 140,000 miles and stalled on me today. towed to mechanic. he says it is the distributor and all associated parts.....$2,300 and parts have to be ordered....I live in Hawaii. is it worth fixing????? is this a ridiculous quote??:crying:

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
my 2003 has 140,000 miles and stalled on me today. towed to mechanic. he says it is the distributor and all associated parts.....$2,300 and parts have to be ordered....I live in Hawaii. is it worth fixing????? is this a ridiculous quote??:crying:
Distributor, less than 100 bucks
New distributor and full tune, less than 350 in parts.
Ridiculous is an understatement. Tell that mechanic I said he is a haole...

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
not sure I'd trust the 100 dollar distributor in my own truck...
That 100 dollar distributor was listed for much much more. Are you telling me the dual core radiator in my living room I got for 92 bucks should be tossed? It listed originally for almost 500. I'll take grease monkey's advice and keep running my original single core radiator and toss my new dual core radiator.
Really? Grease Monkey? These parts are a FRACTION of once they once were. I know, I have watched them drop. I'm actually stocking up on spare goodies.
I wouldn't give grease monkey advice as far as I could toss the lumpy slug, no offence intended...:x

·
Registered
73 Posts
damn $2300 for a distributor??!! what are "all the associated parts"? cap and rotor? sh*t on a shingle im glad i can do most of my own work. Hes ripping you off for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
not sure I'd trust the 100 dollar distributor in my own truck...
That 100 dollar distributor was listed for much much more. Are you telling me the dual core radiator in my living room I got for 92 bucks should be tossed? It listed originally for almost 500. I'll take grease monkey's advice and keep running my original single core radiator and toss my new dual core radiator.
Really? Grease Monkey? These parts are a FRACTION of once they once were. I know, I have watched them drop. I'm actually stocking up on spare goodies.
I wouldn't give grease monkey advice as far as I could toss the lumpy slug, no offence intended...
With OEM parts, sure. It's the cheap after market parts you have to be alert for. I've just started buying parts for my xterra and I've already learned my lesson.

·
Registered
248 Posts
is the distributor gold plated and diamond studded? how much does your mechanic charge per hour? $1500/hr?

Take everyone's advice on here, there is no way that it would cost that much, I think to do the whole timing belt with all new replacement OEM Nissan parts falls shy of that quote which requires many more parts as well as would take many more hours to do.

I would go try another mechanic if I were you, if the quoted you that amount for this job then just think what else you may have over paid or will over pay for in the future.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Going by your name i'm going to assume you are a female. So welcome to the wonderful world of car ownership and the "female tax". There are several shady mechanics out there that are scum and will charge extra because you are a female and think you don't know any better. I would get a 2nd opinion for sure. I know rates on the islands are a little higher but thats just ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
FYI, many many parts come off the same assembly lines as OEM, branding is all that is different. That is modern day Just in Time way of the world.
And saying a non branded oem piece is junk is like saying a brand new oem part never failed. All parts are a crap shoot

·
Registered
211 Posts
FYI, many many parts come off the same assembly lines as OEM, branding is all that is different. That is modern day Just in Time way of the world.
And saying a non branded oem piece is junk is like saying a brand new oem part never failed. All parts are a crap shoot

I just bought an after market inner fender splash shield that looks like it was formed out of a couple of garbage bags. At least with an OEM part (assuming built to original specs), you know what you're paying for. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn't give grease monkey advice as far as I could toss the lumpy slug, no offence intended...:x
WTF are you talking about radiators for?

These engines are super finicky with anything to do with the ignition system. I bought a cheap distributor once, and not even 3 months later it left me stranded 200 miles from home because the electronics shorted out. So yes excuse me when I say you get what you pay for.
I've had enough shitty experiences installing cheap parts that don't last, or don't fit right, don't operate correctly to bother with cheap junk. Especially when it comes to the heart of the trucks ignition system.

The cheap parts definitely do not come from the same factory, just because they use the same cores does not mean the same quality of components go into them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
WTF are you talking about radiators for?

These engines are super finicky with anything to do with the ignition system. I bought a cheap distributor once, and not even 3 months later it left me stranded 200 miles from home because the electronics shorted out. So yes excuse me when I say you get what you pay for.
I've had enough shitty experiences installing cheap parts that don't last, or don't fit right, don't operate correctly to bother with cheap junk. Especially when it comes to the heart of the trucks ignition system.

The cheap parts definitely do not come from the same factory, just because they use the same cores does not mean the same quality of components go into them.
Just to chime in here, many lower receivers on ar15 builds all come from the same actual manufacturer and third parties make deals to just label as their own and incorporate them into the rest of the rifle.

Now that's just assault rifles, and the same can be said for a great number of other products in the automotive industry as well. Not to say all the rest of the parts are the same, as some are changed to cheaper materials to offset cost and lower price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts