Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here :) , and I figured I'd integrate my introduction with my question and reason for registering, haha. Forgive me if this question has been addressed before, but I DID search the forum, but probably in the wrong place or something (because I'm new! lol). So....

I am from NY, and drive a 2003 Nissan Xterra SE. I use it to access 4x4 beaches for fishing and surfing mostly, and also for roadtrips to snowboard. This is, of course, when I'm not confined to a desk or counter as a pharmacist, and that's almost always :usuck: lol. Anyway, onto the questions...

My Xterra has the factory installed Rockford Fosgate stereo. It has worked great for me and don't want to change it, but it looks like I don't have much of a choice anymore. I'm sick of those FM-transmitter iPod/MP3 device adapters that go through the radio and pick up all of that garbage staticky nonsense. And there is no tape deck.

Is there any way for me to hard-wire an auxiliary audio line to this stereo, so I can play my iPod/blackberry through the car's speakers?

I have seen and been told some stuff like there are aux. ports in the back of the stereo, but I can't confirm this, as I have no idea how to go about removing the stereo from the dash without the aid of a SAWZALL/hammer and chisel haha. And we all know that's not gonna work.

So, do I have to buy a new stereo? Or is there some way to use my existing Rockford stereo with an adapter or even an actual aux. port that may or may not be on the back of the unit?

Thank you in advance for any help, I greatly appreciate it! :)

-Matt

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Welcome Matt! You shoyld be able to remove the plastic around the radio by removing a few screws and poping it off. Then just unscrew the 4 screws holding the stereo in and look at the back. Someone may be able to answer your question but in the event that they can't it's pretty simple. :)

Take a look here for some pics and a how to:
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2986

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey Matt, welcome to Club Xterra!

Here's a pretty good write-up on the removal of the stereo.

As for an AUX hook up, I've only heard of people attempting it. I had the regular 6-CD changer double-DIN in mine, and these are the plugs:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys! Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Thank you so much for the awesome info! And thanks to the user who posted that great "How-To."

I'm actually about to go buy the new stereo now and attempt an installation on my own! Lol. (So expect, like, a million more questions when my dash is in 40,000 pieces. Haha, just kidding)

Anyway, thanks again for your prompt replies, and I definitely plan on visiting this community often. (And maybe even contributing to the knowledge pool when I can! lol)

-Matt

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I recommend getting installation instructions and hardware from Crutchfield (free if you buy the stereo). A lot of times the savings on that stuff makes up for the higher price, and the installation will be SO much easier. They give you the mounting hardware, vehicle-specific instructions, awesome customer support, wiring harnesses, etc.

It's very easy getting into the spot on our trucks, I just did it to mine, actually to install an aux cord to my deck :D Took like 20 min total

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I'm not sure what the F is going on here...

New head unit is in the dash kit, wire harness is connected (properly - i assume - colors matched, butt-connectors crimped,etc).....I plug everything in....POWER but NO SOUND??

I've been messing with this for the last 2 hours...the unit powers up, is fully functional, but there is no volume when I adjust it on any function (tuner, aux, usb, etc)...I know this is not really related to anything, because it's mostly electrical, but I'm not really sure what the problem is....

I noticed that behind the stereo is what appears to be an amplifier....could this be the problem?

Also, as in the picture posted above, there is that little input on the far left....what is that for!?

I was on a solid roll with everything until this, now I have to go to work tomorrow with no radio!!! :usuck:

Any suggestions!? Thanks,

-Matt

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I don't know about the amp or the plug on the left, but when I did my stereo, the wire colors didn't match up. I had to match up colors from a wiring diagram of the stock harness to colors on the diagram for the harness that Crutchfield gave me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...

I threw in the old Rockford unit so I didn't go crazy on my hour long commute to work, although it was like my bare/opened-up dash was laughing in my face every time I looked at it. LOL.

Anyway, I guess I'll give it another shot tonight - probably take some pictures if still no success.

But I don't even know where to start to diagnose this problem...
I've got power but no sound. Not even a crackle from one speaker.

Maybe it's the metal boxy-shaped thing behind the stereo? It looks like, in my mind, an amplifier of some sort. It has 2 plugs/wire-harnesses going into the top of it, the type with multiple wires inserted into the head of the plug, resembling those inserted into the back of the old Rockford unit...

If it were an amplifier, would this affect the set up of a new head-unit? Would it only be compatible with a certain type of head unit? Or should it not matter as long as the new wire-harnesses (specific to my make/model/year - 2002-2004 Nissan Xterra) I purchased are connected?

Also, I noticed that my directionals (and probably other dash lights that I haven't tested) don't work. I'm assuming this is due to the 12-volt or Emergency Flashers units not being connected to power, as my dash is still pulled apart. Maybe I have to reconnect the 12-volt outlet or Flashers for that "amp-looking thing" to get power?? But I reconnected my old unit this morning without reconnecting the 12-volt outlet or flashers, and it worked.

ARRGGHHHHH who knows. :usuck:

The fact that I'm not even getting a CRACKLE out of any of the speakers leads me to believe that the problem is something with a relatively simple answer.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated!! :):) And I appologize for all this nonsense and taking up forum space.

-Matt

·
Registered
264 Posts
The rockford fosgate system works differently from other systems.

Behind the radio you will find that silver box, it is the fosgate amplifier.

You have 2 choices, either remove the fosgate amp, and then wire the deck to the output harness from the amplifier, or purchase an adaptor that will connect between your deck and the fosgate amp.

The fosgate amp takes a different input than a regular deck, hence the lack of sound.

If you wire up on the output side of the amplifier, you are essentially wiring directly to the speakers, and then you will get sound.

The fosgate speakers also do not work well with anything other than the fosgate amp and deck, so you will most likely need to change the speakers too. I'm not exactly sure why, but I suspect that the impediance of the fosgate speakers is different than regular speakers.

·
Registered
754 Posts
That metal box is the factory amp for the speakers, make sure you connect the remote power on wire(blue with white stripe on the crutchfield harness) but I'm assuming if you crimped everything than this should have already been connected as well. If the amp is not connected or there is a short somewhere, you will not get any sound from the speakers. (I'd run out and take a picture of what I am talking about but I really don't feel like tearing apart my dash again. The wire coming from the head unit had a tag on it saying "REMOTE POWER")

Also, you are right, your directional signals are not working because the hazard switch is unplugged. Once you get that back in you'll be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey,

Thanks for the info Morpheus and Nuke...But Nuke, I'm not really sure what you're referring to with the remote power on thing.

So it seems that I need to buy an adapter of some sort... But where is it going to go? between the new wire harness and the amp? I mean, where along the line will this adapter go? Does Rockford make this adapter?

Sorry for all the questions...I've put in car stereos before in 2 of my older cars...never ran into anything like this...FML

Thanks again,

Matt

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey,

Thanks for the info Morpheus and Nuke...But Nuke, I'm not really sure what you're referring to with the remote power on thing.

So it seems that I need to buy an adapter of some sort... But where is it going to go? between the new wire harness and the amp? I mean, where along the line will this adapter go? Does Rockford make this adapter?

Sorry for all the questions...I've put in car stereos before in 2 of my older cars...never ran into anything like this...FML

Thanks again,

Matt
I'm not exactly sure who makes the adaptor, but it goes inbetween your deck and the fosgate amp. It adapts the input signal to the proper levels for the fosgate amplifier.

I have the exact same system, 03 SE and all I did was tear the fosgate amp out completely, and wired it into the output harness, directly to the speakers.

The downside, is that the fosgate door and rear speakers sound like ASS, when run directly off the deck. I already had a set of 6.5" front speakers from the pathfinder that I am putting in, and just bought a pair of $40 6x9's for the rear.

I also plan on hooking up the fosgate sub as a mid-sub using an amp in the rear and a speaker box as the low-sub's in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, okay, thanks again for the info, morpheus...

And I'm pretty sure I figured it out, just need to see if it works when I get out of work.

I think what Nuke was talking about is what I need to do. That blue/white wire wasn't connected to the new head unit's wires because: 1) I wasn't sure what it was and Kenwood's owner's manual for the head unit said it's not always used and 2) I was unaware that I had a factory installed amplifier behind the Rockford unit.

Stupid me! :aufkopfhauen-big:

Next it's on to trying to get my steering wheel controls back! Those adapters are pricey, and I've heard about lag-time, so I might hold off......Or duct-tape the remote for this new deck to the steering wheel! LOL.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The rockford fosgate system works differently from other systems.

Behind the radio you will find that silver box, it is the fosgate amplifier.

You have 2 choices, either remove the fosgate amp, and then wire the deck to the output harness from the amplifier, or purchase an adaptor that will connect between your deck and the fosgate amp.

The fosgate amp takes a different input than a regular deck, hence the lack of sound.

If you wire up on the output side of the amplifier, you are essentially wiring directly to the speakers, and then you will get sound.

The fosgate speakers also do not work well with anything other than the fosgate amp and deck, so you will most likely need to change the speakers too. I'm not exactly sure why, but I suspect that the impediance of the fosgate speakers is different than regular speakers.
Wow, you have already answered a lot of my questions! Although have a few more... LOL

When I bought my 04 X SE, for whatever reason the owners before me replaced the Rockford with some bottom line head unit, after reading your post I've come to the conclusion they just wired the radio to the speakers, because I too have noticed that the speakers sound blown of just scratchy at higher volume!

So my questions are, when I replace my head unit if I wire it to the RF amp will it use all 9 speakers including the sub in the rear? Second, will I need to replace the door speakers or will they sound better on the RF amp and are not in fact blown?

·
Registered
55 Posts
my question is I have a 2001 X and just put in a 2002 6 disc changer (are the all RF?) Well of course I have no amp can I just get an amp and harnes from open plug on radio to the amp? Or is that me thinking something might be easy with this vehicle for once. Radio works but no low end bass, fiqured because it is not powered and uses amp. Do they all have a amp and sub too or do some just have the amp?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
my question is I have a 2001 X and just put in a 2002 6 disc changer (are the all RF?) Well of course I have no amp can I just get an amp and harnes from open plug on radio to the amp? Or is that me thinking something might be easy with this vehicle for once. Radio works but no low end bass, fiqured because it is not powered and uses amp. Do they all have a amp and sub too or do some just have the amp?

Your X didn't come from the factory with a sub, hence the lack of bass.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts