Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been having a lot of problems with my 2003 Nissan Xterra recently. At first when I started having problems it was because it was running really rough and the check engine light was on we hooked up the computer and it read as knock sensor and multiple cylinder misfire. So we replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, knock sensor and intake manifold gaskets and torqued them to the right specifications and also replaced the fuel filter(after starting to replace things on the vehicle we discovered that all of the parts were original that we were replacing and it has 202,000 miles on it). After all of this the vehicle ran great for about 12 hours then all of a sudden the gears wouldn't shift. After replacing everything else and it was all original we decided it may just be the transmission fluid we checked it and it was really old and bad. We changed it and the filter was terrible. We start it up and it sounds amazing, I try and drive it and it will only shift 2 gears(automatic) and it is a really hard shift and the first shift will throw it forward really fast and then go back up. What could be causing this?

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
It sounds like the valve body is plugged up . Try some Lucus trans additive first and see if you loosen things up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like the valve body is plugged up . Try some Lucus trans additive first and see if you loosen things up.
Yes I forgot to put that I put that in it to along with the new transmission fluid. We just did it last night. Does it take time driving it for it to work correctly?

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
Your going to need to get a scan tool ,the tool will tell if these things are working or not.
1) Throttle sensor not working properly wont go above 2 nd gear
2) Speed sensor not working wont go above 2 nd gear . Its located behind drivers head wire pass behind intake maybe damaged putting intake back on.
3) Will tell you if 2nd gear solenoid is working

·
Registered
621 Posts
Im going to second tps after going through a nightmare with mine. Also suggest Disconnecting battery and letting the computers relearn. Has worked on mine before. But the tps all you need is a multi meter and some speaker wire. Check (stevexnyc performance) on youtube without the () pretty damn informative. Sometimes i read diys and watch the video to get a feel for what im up for. Like my timing belt which is actually pretty straight foward just a time consuming job. And simply draining the fluid once and calling it a day wont work unless you either have it all pumped out at a shop which i suggest not to or keep draining and filling. Mine was the worst i ever seen and i got very worried as i had a rumble going into and out of over drive like driving over ripple strips on the interstate. My fluid was completely black and it took 3 drain and fills till i was comfortable with the color of it and when i receive my taxes back is getting another one and new filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having a lot of problems with my 2003 Nissan Xterra recently. At first when I started having problems it was because it was running really rough and the check engine light was on we hooked up the computer and it read as knock sensor and multiple cylinder misfire. So we replaced the spark plugs, spark plug wires, knock sensor and intake manifold gaskets and torqued them to the right specifications and also replaced the fuel filter(after starting to replace things on the vehicle we discovered that all of the parts were original that we were replacing and it has 202,000 miles on it). After all of this the vehicle ran great for about 12 hours then all of a sudden the gears wouldn't shift. After replacing everything else and it was all original we decided it may just be the transmission fluid we checked it and it was really old and bad. We changed it and the filter was terrible. We start it up and it sounds amazing, I try and drive it and it will only shift 2 gears(automatic) and it is a really hard shift and the first shift will throw it forward really fast and then go back up. What could be causing this?
I'm having the same issue not shifting passed 2nd on a 03 X. Did you figure it out? If so what was the issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any luck have same issue with my 04 changed fluid and got codes for crank sensor and knock sensor and changed speed sensor on trans but still showing code for speed sensor

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
yeah this is ususally a tps, or maf issue or a vacuum hose come loose or leaking in the intake, that would be my 3 top things to check here

1 - 14 of 14 Posts