Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i am really confused. I have a 2002 Xterra with the 6 cd changer and i purchased a pioneer head unit to change out the stock one. The wire harness i bought to connect the radio is the first part of my question.. Is there a special one for the 6 cd changer because i just got one for the X without even checking.

second part: the pioneer came with its wire harness and the connector wire harness had more wires and they don't up.. any help :/

in the image the black harness is the pioneer and the 2 white ones are the connector ones.

P.s. why did it come with 2 harnesses, does the stock radio have two harnesses??? please help :/

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
in the image the black harness is the pioneer and the 2 white ones are the connector ones.
:/
The pioneer unit will only come with one harness, the black on. And what do you mean by connectors? Did you buy the wiring harness kit for the x? They have them so you can simply solder in the wires to the head unit connector without having to splice the factory cable. I am assuming that is what you purchased. The one on the left has the power, ground, ignition and it looks like the front speakers (maybe), and the one on the right looks straight speakers. Simply check your instructions for the colors and what wire goes where and splice them into the pioneer harness. The colors might not match, except for the power wires, just check your instructions. But I guess the only thing I am confused on is the 2 white connectors. I haven come across 2 connectors before, I have only seen one that connects to the factory harness. Now if your factory harness has two plugs then your good to go. But all in all it should be a easy match them up and solder them. And might I highly recommend solder, with heat shrink to wrap it. It is a much better connection, and won't wiggle loose after hitting the trails. (know from experiance) yes twist caps and elec tape will work, but soldering is well worth the time, and isnt hard.

Unfortunately I can't help you on the disk changer, I believe you should either be able to connect it straight up, or pioneer offers a adapter for it. I would check cruthfield.com, etc.

Chris

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
7 Posts
here you go

the factory xterra radio uses 2 harnesses all you have to do is connect the black radio side harness wires to both of the white car side harnesses, you do this with soldering or butt connectors and you put them together by matching the colors. you may have some left over wires that go nowhere this is ok cap them off. the yellow wire is constant 12v, the red wire is acc. turn on. the blue/white wire is amp turn on for factory or aftermarket amp, the orange wires are illumination wires so when you turn on your headlights the radio will dimm(you dont have to connect these if you dont want to, the black wires have to go to a ground that you will have to drill behind your factory radio in to the metal bar,each speaker has two sets one solid color and one with black stripe or tracer, the green wires are left rear speakers and the purple are right rear speakers, white is right front, gray is left front, and solid blue is motorized ant wire just cap this one off and that should take care of all of the wiring

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys so much I figured it all out. And Dr. S, I will cap the orange wires because there isn't a spot for the illumination and dimmer in the pioneer harness so they, along with the blue, will be capped. One last thing... To ground the wires, what do I do? I know to attach them to metal base that's unpainted, but how? Should I solder or wrap around a screw etc

·
Registered
7 Posts
your going to want to find a 6 to 8 inch piece of wire and extend the ground wires to an eyelet that is crimped on the end and get a self tapping screw to drill it into any bare metal part of the dash support structure but leave enough slack to slide the radio into place. some stock radio harnesses{pioneer harness} come with an eyelet already attached if so just use that

.................... car side harness
........................../
Ground O--------<
..........................\
................... radio side harness

dont mind the periods there just word spacers for funky diagram

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just make sure you don't cut into the wiring harness that is on the truck side. (just want to stress this point)

Go to best buy and buy the Xterra pig tail. That way you can sit at your kitchen table and make a custom adapter pigtail by soldering the two pig tails together. Also I would recommend cutting the pigtails down just a little before soldering. If not, you may have a ton of wire behind the radio.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Metra+-+Turbo+Wire+Aftermarket+Radio+Wire+Harness+Adapter+for+Select+Nissan+Vehicles/2370945.p?id=1142291936764&skuId=2370945&cmp=RMX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts