Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Transmission making a screeching noise- Had the transmission replaced at 159,000 miles. While driving with the new trans, as i was going up a hill the truck downshifted and made this screeching noise. (This doesn't happen all the time. Just randomly)

Oil Light comes on- Ever since we bought the truck, it has been leaking oil. We checked the oil every week and everything was fine. When the transmission went out, we decided to get the replacement and also get the rear main seal done on it. When we got it back from the mechanic, there was a ticking noise, as if it were low on oil. I checked the oil and it was fine. Even put some in it just in case. Later i was driving it about 10 miles from my house, only to hear this ticking noise with the pace of the RPM's. Called up the mechanic from the side of the road. Said to put a quart of oil in it and drop it off at the shop. He tells us that the truck is fine. Its not leaking oil and that the truck had more oil then it needed. Also everynow and then, we get the smell of oil through the air vents in the interior of the truck. Maybe thats a sign of burning oil??

Truck heating up- This issue has been happening for quite a while. Local mechanic said we needed to replace the fan clutch. Had that replaced and the truck still heats up when we drive it for more than 20 or so miles. The truck has the proper amount of coolant so i dont know what can be causing this.
Here is a video of the truck heating up. We had just finished pumping gas after about a 20 minute city drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZe_TpD6PCw

·
Registered
52 Posts
As far as problem #3 , I had the same issue and chased it for almost a year. New fan clutch, new radiator new everything, never fixed it but truck never overheated either. Finally I replaced, I believe the temperature sensor or sending unit, I can't remember exactly what the part was called. About $20 from the dealership and 5 minutes to install. I've never had the problem again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The ticking noise could possibly be an exhaust leak as this would increase with RPM also. I only say this because the exhaust manifolds are evidently prone to cracking.

The oil smell may be a leaking valve cover gasket that occasionally drips on the exhaust manifolds.

Under what conditions does the oil light turn on? Random? High or low RPM? For how long does it stay on?

I had a 240sx with a KA24DE that I turboed. The oil light would sometimes come on briefly under full boost at high RPM. I later found out that it was a very slightly failed head gasket. At high RPM it would pressurize the crankcase and froth the oil. Might be something to check out?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am aware that the truck needs a new catalytic converter and that there is a ticking noise coming from it. But this ticking noise that i experienced was far more than the catalytic converter. The oil light flickered a bunch of times. It never came on fully. It would come on after about a 30 minute drive and the temperature gauge rising.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am aware that the truck needs a new catalytic converter and that there is a ticking noise coming from it. But this ticking noise that i experienced was far more than the catalytic converter. The oil light flickered a bunch of times. It never came on fully. It would come on after about a 30 minute drive and the temperature gauge rising.
Sounds like a strange problem indeed, assuming your oil pressure sensor and temp sensor aren't going bad simultaneously.

Can you pin point where the ticking is coming from?

Worst case scenario is that your rod and main bearings are shot. When the engine is running at high temps, the oil thins out excessively, and the worn bearings are allowing too much oil to flow out around them. This situation would result in an over all pressure drop causing your oil pressure light to illuminate.

It's probably not the case, but a simple test can eliminate it from the list. Try running a thicker oil for a little while to see if the ticking and oil light issue disappears. Maybe a 10w-40 would do the trick. I know a lot of people aren't into trial and error like this, but it's where I would start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the ticking noise hasn't come back for about a full week now. Also I'm already running 10W 40 on my xterra.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cant edit my previous post. I just realized this. When they did the rear main seal they had to change the oil along with it. Last time I did the oil change I used 10w 40. Usually the shop uses a different type of oil possibly with a different viscosity

1 - 7 of 7 Posts