Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 xterra XE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a 2002 xterra xe 2wd I believe it's the 6cyl..
so I live in Vegas and the car runs decent foe the year and I am pretty handy at fixing things so I figured if anything is wrong I can most likely fix it myself, anyways I was heading to pahrump and the oil lamp flickers when at a low idle but going up the hill I believe it would come on and off at times, along with the SES light started flashing and it was not going up the hill at the nor.al speed but rather having a hard time even doing 45, so I pulled off and slowed down and when I stopped the engine died.. I was like dang I just got it and already a issue, anyways I started it back and up and it ran fine the oil dipstick which is very weird like a wire with a the level reader at the end, idk if that is normal I'd assume so because I seen the same one online "so it seems" well I got back on the road after I checked everything out and it ran fine up the hill with O/D OFF . I've been reading that maybe it could be not the right oil or dirty oil pump so not sure where to start.. I new to the xterra thing but very much like the SUV and not gonna give up on it but would rather build it up to be a amazing car to take camping ect.. can anyone pls shoot me in the right direction to what I should start looking for or maybe an idea on what I'm most likely gonna have to change.?? thanks as it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
just picked up a 2002 xterra xe 2wd I believe it's the 6cyl..
so I live in Vegas and the car runs decent foe the year and I am pretty handy at fixing things so I figured if anything is wrong I can most likely fix it myself, anyways I was heading to pahrump and the oil lamp flickers when at a low idle but going up the hill I believe it would come on and off at times, along with the SES light started flashing and it was not going up the hill at the nor.al speed but rather having a hard time even doing 45, so I pulled off and slowed down and when I stopped the engine died.. I was like dang I just got it and already a issue, anyways I started it back and up and it ran fine the oil dipstick which is very weird like a wire with a the level reader at the end, idk if that is normal I'd assume so because I seen the same one online "so it seems" well I got back on the road after I checked everything out and it ran fine up the hill with O/D OFF . I've been reading that maybe it could be not the right oil or dirty oil pump so not sure where to start.. I new to the xterra thing but very much like the SUV and not gonna give up on it but would rather build it up to be a amazing car to take camping ect.. can anyone pls shoot me in the right direction to what I should start looking for or maybe an idea on what I'm most likely gonna have to change.?? thanks as it would be much appreciated.
the ses light was flashing? see if you can get any codes stored from a reader at autozone or the like, this sounds like the notorious distributor bearing failure in 1st gen v6s when this happened did the engine start running really rough and lose all power and motivation to move the vehicle? i would pull the cap and rotor off the distributor (mounted right in front of the engine) (mark which wire goes where obviously) and look down the rotor shaft with a flashlight, if you see red or silvery powder all in it, bearing is dead, if not pop the little cover off under the cap, should be held in by 2 screws, that will uncover the bearing for inspection then you will likely find pieces of bearing everywhere, if it is the dizzy autozone gold served me wel in 2 different 3.3s and is the one i recommend as replacement, hassle free lifetime warranty cant be beat. if not what other symptoms you have? any strong fuel smells/ rising temp gauge while this was going on? etc

·
Registered
2002 xterra XE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ses light was flashing? see if you can get any codes stored from a reader at autozone or the like, this sounds like the notorious distributor bearing failure in 1st gen v6s when this happened did the engine start running really rough and lose all power and motivation to move the vehicle? i would pull the cap and rotor off the distributor (mounted right in front of the engine) (mark which wire goes where obviously) and look down the rotor shaft with a flashlight, if you see red or silvery powder all in it, bearing is dead, if not pop the little cover off under the cap, should be held in by 2 screws, that will uncover the bearing for inspection then you will likely find pieces of bearing everywhere, if it is the dizzy autozone gold served me wel in 2 different 3.3s and is the one i recommend as replacement, hassle free lifetime warranty cant be beat. if not what other symptoms you have? any strong fuel smells/ rising temp gauge while this was going on? etc
no temp rising and no fuel smell, but I was going uphill and it was having trouble accelerating to the point where I was only going 45 and didnt want to push or speed up anymore.. so thata when I pulled over put it in park and it stalled , I was able to get it started again and then it didnt show signs of that after.. made it home but I dont want to go through that if I'm hauling kayaks out on a dirt road ya know. so trying to figure it out, thank you for responding..

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
no temp rising and no fuel smell, but I was going uphill and it was having trouble accelerating to the point where I was only going 45 and didnt want to push or speed up anymore.. so thata when I pulled over put it in park and it stalled , I was able to get it started again and then it didnt show signs of that after.. made it home but I dont want to go through that if I'm hauling kayaks out on a dirt road ya know. so trying to figure it out, thank you for responding..
yeah, see if it stored any codes 1st and let us know if there are any, but this really sounds like a bad distributor especailly with no fuel smell, as that would usually indicate fuel pressure regulator as an issue common for diaphram in them to break as they age in 1st gens and give the engine too much fuel. take a spark wire off of a plug, ground it to the engine (being very careful to not be shocked and hurt, wear protective gear and I AM NOT LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OR INJURIES) and see if you are getting spark.

Reactions: heshhouse

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
also check if your truck is in the fuel sending unit recall (call dealer and give vin and ask if there are any open recalls) free if it is and needs it, could also be source of your issues, but sounds alot more like ignition to me.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Congrats on your X. kms1990 has you pretty well covered. You didn't mention how many miles you have on your X, but please make sure you replace your timing belt sooner than later unless the seller gave you receipts showing that it has been done. It's one of the most overlooked maintenance items on any vehicle with a belt and has ruined many an owners day.

·
Registered
2002 xterra XE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also check if your truck is in the fuel sending unit recall (call dealer and give vin and ask if there are any open recalls) free if it is and needs it, could also be source of your issues, but sounds alot more like ignition to me.
well today I drove it into Vegas because I knew it would maybe act up if I gave it enough time again ( haven't been driving it long) so then it started acting up, so when it did it gave off a funny smell and the SES light came on and stayed on this time, (engine has 156k on it) so I took it to autozone and had them read it for codes and it gave them some this time. I'll upload a picture and also I ordered one of the parts to see if when it comes in I can solve one problem lol, (also still has flickering oil light when idle) so I got mobile 1 full synthetic oil to put in tomorrow, I also heard that it only holds like 3.5q of oil is this correct?

·
Registered
918 Posts
The sending unit for the 2002 should be included in the recall.

"2002 Nissan Xterra Recall
Description of Recall: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH SIX CYLINDER ENGINES AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH FOUR OR SIX CYLINDER ENGINES, THE FUEL PUMP TERMINAL ON THE FUEL-SENDING UNIT CAN DEVELOP A CRACK IN THE PLASTIC MOLDING. ... OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261."
It needs to be dealt with through Nissan for the recall though

·
Registered
2002 xterra XE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sending unit for the 2002 should be included in the recall.

"2002 Nissan Xterra Recall
Description of Recall: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH SIX CYLINDER ENGINES AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH FOUR OR SIX CYLINDER ENGINES, THE FUEL PUMP TERMINAL ON THE FUEL-SENDING UNIT CAN DEVELOP A CRACK IN THE PLASTIC MOLDING. ... OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261."
It needs to be dealt with through Nissan for the recall though
is this the fuel pressure regulator, or something different, imma call here just wondering though. ?

·
Registered
918 Posts
The Fuel Sending Unit is a part of the fuel pump. The problem occurs where the wire harness connects to the unit. A replacement under recall basically results in the replacement of the fuel pump with the sending unit. Likewise, a replacement that isn't under recall still requires a new fuel pump.

If you call the number they will ask you for your VIN so that they can check the database. Likewise, the dealership can also check based on your VIN. If you try a dealership and they say no, I would still call the number and try there, but then I have trust issues.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Do it a kindness and put a fuel filter on. From the problem you described it sounds like its starving for fuel
another very commonly overlooked item on 1st gens, good suggestion.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
well today I drove it into Vegas because I knew it would maybe act up if I gave it enough time again ( haven't been driving it long) so then it started acting up, so when it did it gave off a funny smell and the SES light came on and stayed on this time, (engine has 156k on it) so I took it to autozone and had them read it for codes and it gave them some this time. I'll upload a picture and also I ordered one of the parts to see if when it comes in I can solve one problem lol, (also still has flickering oil light when idle) so I got mobile 1 full synthetic oil to put in tomorrow, I also heard that it only holds like 3.5q of oil is this correct? View attachment 75323
yes 3.5qts is correct on the vg33 small oil capacity. i would defintely check if you need that fuel sending recall with that p0441 code, ignore the 328 code its a dummy and not causing your issues. then start checking the evap hoses and valves for proper flow.

·
Registered
918 Posts
ignore the 328 code its a dummy and not causing your issues.
Yep, p0328 will not be the cause of your issues and typically doesn't cause running issues. Most people save swapping out or relocating the knock sensor for when they have to take the intake manifold off to replace leaking valve cover gaskets etc. (which is a common issue with the X).

·
Registered
2002 xterra XE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes 3.5qts is correct on the vg33 small oil capacity. i would defintely check if you need that fuel sending recall with that p0441 code, ignore the 328 code its a dummy and not causing your issues. then start checking the evap hoses and valves for proper flow.
yeah trips me out because when I Google is says the 2002 xterra takes 5qs of full synthetic oil and then I read on here it takes 3.5 so I'm like wait what? haha

·
Registered
2002 xterra XE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah trips me out because when I Google is says the 2002 xterra takes 5qs of full synthetic oil and then I read on here it takes 3.5 so I'm like wait what? haha
yeah I have the vg33 engine and I see how much it takes, first engine I've ever had that only takes that little of oil haha

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've got a 2.4L 2000 Frontier (same engine as the 2.4L X) and it uses more than my 2003 3.3L X. Tripped me out the first time I did an oil change on my X.

·
Registered
2002 xterra XE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a 2.4L 2000 Frontier (same engine as the 2.4L X) and it uses more than my 2003 3.3L X. Tripped me out the first time I did an oil change on my X.
yeah I was like no way haha but hey theres a first for everything, well I replaced the fuel pressure sensor and honestly feels like it got a little pick up and go now also did full synthetic oil, which I dont know if the previous owners did .. smh this also might be a dumb question what type of gas does it take seeing how it's full synthetic, is it 87, or do I do 91? used to have a Toyota Avalon and it took 91.. pricy but hey I want to know I giving it all the love ita been missing.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The oil will have no affect on what type of gas. Just the type of air intake affects required gas type. Normally Aspirated takes regular. If it's got a Super Charger (The SC model) then it takes premium. If it's not an SC then don't bother with the more expensive gas.

·
Registered
2002 xterra XE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The oil will have no affect on what type of gas. Just the type of air intake. Normally Aspirated takes regular. If it's got a Super Charger (The SC model) then it takes premium. If it's not an SC then don't bother with the more expensive gas.
ok thanks I know I ask allot of question and although I built my far share of hondas ect, (I was in the racer scene) but grew out of that when I got older I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can do correctly with this beast which I love haha, so much appreciated for taking the time to answer me back, i cant wait to put some nice tires on it and some nice off road rims to match it and begin my journey's with it. offroad, taking to the lake to kayak with ect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts