Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a similar question in the forum from over 5 years ago but wondering if anyone has had this recently and what the issue was-I've had my X for 2 months-161,000 miles on it. Just had new battery, alternator belt, drive belt, AC belt, timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor and rotor (not the cap) all replaced. The brake light started to come on intermittently while driving. The ABS light does too but less often. Then, yesterday morning, the airbag light started flashing and has not stopped. I notice other weird things too, like static in the speakers when I switch the defroster on, slight smell of burning rubber from the engine compartment after driving. Don't know if it's related (I've been a Jeep person for 14 years :rolleyes:). Always starts right up even in the freezing cold and the supercharger seems to be working great-can kick right in even going up a hill. Haven't noticed headlights or dashlights dimming. Guess I'm wondering best course of action because I'm a full time student and low on cash-I trust my local mechanic but should I head right to a Nissan dealer? Also, if anyone has had the problem-what was the outcome? Thanks!

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
464 Posts
Do not have this experience but depending on how comfortable you are I would go over all of the wiring. Start with the battery, weird things can happen if the cables connected to the battery are corroding or not connecting properly. I don’t mean to call out your mechanic but the belt could have been put on the alternator poorly as well causing an electrical issue. Because you smell a burning, I’d look into some wiring diagrams to see if ABS, SRS, and brake dash lights are in the same part of the harness, they could have potentially been bumped too close to something and are burning up a bit now. Thoroughly look over the engine and see if anything looks strange

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not have this experience but depending on how comfortable you are I would go over all of the wiring. Start with the battery, weird things can happen if the cables connected to the battery are corroding or not connecting properly. I don’t mean to call out your mechanic but the belt could have been put on the alternator poorly as well causing an electrical issue. Because you smell a burning, I’d look into some wiring diagrams to see if ABS, SRS, and brake dash lights are in the same part of the harness, they could have potentially been bumped too close to something and are burning up a bit now. Thoroughly look over the engine and see if anything looks strange
Thanks! Yeah I was wondering if something could have gotten messed up with all that work! Actually the alternator belt and other belts were done by the dealer's mechanic-half the work was-it really is a great truck and he was going to give it to his son-had $1600 put into it when I bought it. I'll give it a good going over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts