Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Xterra SE, Shock Blue, AT/4x4
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into used engines, anybody use a JDM sourced engine? Junk yards and used engines are available, but almost as expensive as a complete JDM.

Also, has anyone done a 4.0L swap (probably trans and transfer case too) and what are the biggest hurdles? Mechanically it would seem doable, but I would assume the entire engine wiring loom and ECM are needed too and likely difficult to interface with electronics. Probably not worth it in the long run, but a thought.

I have finally gotten to the point on this rig where I need to replace the engine. I tried to avoid it with short cuts, but the low compression and now an oil light (low pressure) are the final straw.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I'd be predisposed to go with a JDM if you can get one. The miles will be lower and in general they should be in better working condition. The regulations in Japan are really strict. A junkyard engine leaves you with more risk in my opinion. Junkyard engines are in the Junkyard for a reason, but you never know what that reason is.

If you go JDM do make sure that you have your old engine and accessories on hand as you may need to swap some components or some may not come with the engine.

Not sure on the 4.0 swap. I'm sure it can be done, but it would likely be a tight squeeze. You'd have to consider the steering column etc, plumbing, and even the suspension as the suspension on the gen1 may take exception to the added weight.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,324 Posts
4.0L would never work and if you cobbled it together it would end up costing more than the truck is worth. The gearing is totally different and you’d end up with a top speed of 60 mph unless you also changed differentials too which also don’t fit. 2nd gen has something like 3.3 diff gears, my first gen has 4.9

I did a JDM engine and put about 20k on it with no issues. A lot of things to swap but also comes with spare distributor, injectors, EGR valve and throttle body.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looking into used engines, anybody use a JDM sourced engine? Junk yards and used engines are available, but almost as expensive as a complete JDM.

Also, has anyone done a 4.0L swap (probably trans and transfer case too) and what are the biggest hurdles? Mechanically it would seem doable, but I would assume the entire engine wiring loom and ECM are needed too and likely difficult to interface with electronics. Probably not worth it in the long run, but a thought.

I have finally gotten to the point on this rig where I need to replace the engine. I tried to avoid it with short cuts, but the low compression and now an oil light (low pressure) are the final straw.
LS 5.3 chevy conversion?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts