Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I think I need to replace my knock sensor in my 2002 SE SC. Not to familiar with this type of thing so wanted some insight. Basically, sometimes I drive my X and it feels like its got lots of power and zip to it and other times I start it up and drive it and it feels like its got nothing. Very reduced power and not a lot of acceleration. This is the only symptom i'm getting so wanted to confirm it is in fact the knock sensor. Seems like sometimes it runs as it should but more often then not its in "Limp" mode. The engine light is on so will pull some codes this week. to confirm just haven't gotten around to it.
Secondly, how expensive is it to replace? Was going to phone around for some quotes this week but wanted a ball park price for parts + installation. Anything else I should worry about?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The K/S will not put the CEL light on so there must be other problems. Cost to replace the K/S is around $500
I will pull the codes soon and see what else it might be then. Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do those symptoms I described sound like a Knock sensor? Someone suggested the catalytic converter might be plugged.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have those same symptoms. I'll hit a power band after 3 k and it hauls good.. below that it struggles sometimes
but then others it randomly pulls hard all the way..
I've done the knock sensor, headers and a full rebuild of my engine.. the only thing i haven't changed it injectors and lifters.. maybe it is boost related I don't know I'm interested to find out what the problem is myself so when you find out please let me know!!!

if your cat was plugged youd be getting a cat deficiency code. in which case get rid of it ASAP when these let go they take out engines.

·
Registered
158 Posts
furthermore back when I did my knock sensor I did notice a power increase, but I still had the laggyness under 3000 RPM and then it cam on like a bang (like vtec haha) and hauled good.. it also did that same scenario before I did the knock sensor although it didnt pull as hard as it does with a new

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have those same symptoms. I'll hit a power band after 3 k and it hauls good.. below that it struggles sometimes
but then others it randomly pulls hard all the way..
I've done the knock sensor, headers and a full rebuild of my engine.. the only thing i haven't changed it injectors and lifters.. maybe it is boost related I don't know I'm interested to find out what the problem is myself so when you find out please let me know!!!

if your cat was plugged youd be getting a cat deficiency code. in which case get rid of it ASAP when these let go they take out engines.
Awesome thanks for your insight. I will look into that code for the cat. I know my X isn't a race car by any means but it seems like it isn't running to its full potential. Might go ahead and do the K/S.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would look into the k.s bypass so the computer doesnt dumb it down period. My n/a does exactly this. And ive found that alot of it had to do with my throttle posistion sensor being bad. Also relocated the intake temp sensor to just behind the grill next to my headlights cause after the removal of the intake resonators etc and a cold air intake it seemed like the sensor sat there without much airflow in hot heat from the radiator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.