Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2002 nissan xterra 3.3 super charged 160k miles. Mechanic says engine is bad. Sounds like a diesel truck but still has power. He told me it could be the oil pump, but he doubts it and wouldn't want to put in the work to fix (would cost me 1000 in labor, pump is in the oil pan 10 hour job) used engine costs $3800 labor and materials.

My question is, should I sell the car for parts, and how do I do that (who do I go to)?
Also, would a dealer take a trade in for it towards a new car with a bad engine?

As for as I am concerned , ATEQ VT55 is a helpful tool , which has excellent performance to make users feel satisfied and meet users demand . There are some reasons to show why this tool is so helpful .

·
Registered
11 Posts
2002 nissan xterra 3.3 super charged 160k miles. Mechanic says engine is bad. Sounds like a diesel truck but still has power. He told me it could be the oil pump, but he doubts it and wouldn't want to put in the work to fix (would cost me 1000 in labor, pump is in the oil pan 10 hour job) used engine costs $3800 labor and materials.

My question is, should I sell the car for parts, and how do I do that (who do I go to)?
Also, would a dealer take a trade in for it towards a new car with a bad engine?
First thing first all your estimates on cost, IMHO are way to high due to labor. I suggest finding a shade tree mechanic. I would never pay $100 an hour unless it was some top-notch warrantied everything they touch kind of place, loan vehicles, etc.. even then I'd rather just use my guy...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oops, I forgot this in my first reply... a used engine here in Knoxville, TN cost $400-$600 and most places charge about $300-$500 for labor.. so you can understand why $3800 is confusing to me!

·
Registered
46 Posts
i replaced my cylinder heads,water pump, timing belt and tensioner myself, it took me a few days to do on my own. the only cost to me was the parts and 2 weekends of work. it wasn't all that hard and also it wouldn't have been much more work to have the block removed. if its a nice looking rig you should do your self a favor and fix it up. they are awesome to have. if you get a Haynes manual they explain everything step by step on what to remove in what order and how to get it all back together. itd make a great father son project too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts